Tuesday, June 13, 2023

Wrist surgery today

 I walked Friz, Sahne and Gretchen at 5:30am.  I filled up the water tank for the backyard dogs. I had to report in at 1pm but surgery wasn't until 3:30pm.  I didn't have anything to eat or drink since 11pm yesterday.

I was at Susan's at 10:30am to shower and drop off Sweetie.  I wanted Sweetie to feel safe at Susan's as she shakes in fear whenever she gets near the RV.   Gretchen is always in attack mode when she sees Sweetie.  This way Sweetie has a few peaceful days away from the other dogs.  Sweetie feels comfy at Susan's.  She and Allie get along.

I was towel-drying my hair when the hospital called at 11am, asking if I could come in early, as the operation right before mine got cancelled. Yes, I wanted an earlier operation time to avoid having to dehydrate and starve myself.

Susan dropped me off at noon and I was quickly processed in. I was prepped for the IV, signed a few waivers, got briefed by anesthesiologists Drs Offendahl and Schulte.  I was nervous and kept looking at the clock.  The last time I saw was 1:37pm.  Then the sedatives took affect.

I awoke sometime after 5:30pm needing to pee.  I needed help standing up.  I kept drinking water, making me pee even more.  When the staff realized that I lived alone with no one to care for me, they decided to keep me overnight.  I was relieved, as I feared getting knocked over by any of the dogs.  I was far weaker than I thought I would be.  I needed to be safe.

I never felt nauseous. I feared that. By early evening the anesthesia had worn off and I was feeling in good spirits, except I could not feel my left arm.  It hung and swayed like a dead weight.  I was given a nerve blocker to avoid any pain, and I'm glad for that. My left hand was colored purple from the disinfectant, making the hand look like that of a corpse, but I felt no pain.  "We ran out of the yellow dye" said one of the nurses.


I drank a lot of water.  By late evening I felt normal again and was able to move around.



No comments:

Post a Comment