Sunday, June 4, 2023

PDS Wildlife refuge walk

The Newman trail area from last night had me intrigued.  Now I wanted to see it during the early morning light.  I was first introduced to this area last summer when Gretchen escaped and was found nearby 36 hours later.


I  took Gretchen, but she delayed me by ten minutes because she sneaked out the gate when I wasn't paying attention.  At least she had her leash on, which made grabbing her easy, and she didn't fight me either.  She likes playing chase with me.

But we lost time, missing the 5:23am sunrise and getting there at 5:38am.  Other dog walkers were already on the route.  I started at the intersection where the Newman trail crosses Ramsey Cyn Rd.  There is plenty of off-street parking here.

The homes along the refuge are high-end, spacious homes with acreage.  I turned south on E Pawnee road to walk the perimeter around the refuge.  Pawnee is a two-lane street that stops just before the Newman trail.


The perimeter was just under two miles.  I wanted to do more, so I continued south on S Richards road for a mile.  A short trail starts up a hill before it ends at a barbed-wire fence.  This must have been the result of an abandoned plan for a home.  New homes in the Sun Canyon estates are now below this hill, four-acre lots meant for horses.


I kept Gretchen on-leash the entire time.  Walking down the hill in my slip-ons was not easy.  She nearly pulled me down twice.  I was glad to be back on terra firma! 

 

It was also warm by the time we were done with this 4-mile walk.  I didn't do too much else the rest of the day.


No comments:

Post a Comment