Friday, June 9, 2023

Afternoon in Bisbee


We had an overcast sky all morning.  It made dog walking enjoyable.  I managed almost five miles early by 8am. Fritz got half of that. I should have taken advantage of this overcast sky and gone to Bisbee earlier.  Instead, I stayed around the RV with the dogs.  I didn't leave for Bisbee until after 1pm.  I took Sahne.


Shortly after getting to Bisbee, though, the clouds dispersed,  It got warm fast. I  stopped at the Quarry for a chicken pot pie.  That place is such an iconic dive. but my pie was disappointing.   The "pie" crust was merely a thick slice of cornbread on top of a 8-oz cup of chicken filling.  The filling was tasty, with plenty of chicken and carrots, but it was hard to eat.  It would have been better served in a wider bowl, with the filling over the bread. 


I learned after I left the place that I could have brought Sahne inside,  I had kept her in the Honda parked in the shade.  The Quarry owner saw me by my Honda and stopped to tell me that. "I like dogs more than people!" she added.


I then walked with Sahne along OK Street  There are some nice views from there, and trails that meander behind peoples' property. I have forgotten the many trails. I discovered a few more ruins on this walk, but walking in my slipons was not easy.



I wanted to see the Buddah Shrine, a small shrine  erected in an abandoned mine shaft.  I had forgotten the way to the shrine, as it is behind several hillside homes. I eventually found it, but now Sahne was getting warm, so we went back into the Gulch to walk in the shade.


I stopped at the Mimosa Market on the return walk. There is always a tin bucket full of water for dogs.  Minnie, Sadie and Zeke have all stopped here before. Sahne  was grateful for this water stop, as she used her feat to root through the water.  She also put her front legs in the bucket.  She let me know when she was ready to go.


I felt tired and opted to cut the walk  short. I would have walked longer but the heat was uncomfortable. On my way to Main Street I stopped in a new Smoothie place and dogs were allowed! The cool air felt good. That smoothie filled me up.


The walk was just under 2.5 miles.  It was enough for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment