Monday, June 26, 2023

Sweetie has kidney disease

Today was the big day: Sweetie had her appointment with Dr Jackson.  Last summer he told me Sweetie's kidney readings were high, and that we need to watch the blood count as it was closing in on kidney problems.  I also wanted stronger pain medication for her pain, as she walks stiffly with a limp.

I was at Susan's by noon and stayed until 12:45pm.  The appointment was for 1:30pm. It was too hot to walk around her property before taking off.  I turned the AC on in my Honda to cool off the interior for Sweetie before driving off for the 32-minute drive into town.


I arrived a bit early and I didn't mind, as the waiting area was cool!  There was one other woman with her little dog waiting. Sweetie weighs 44 pounds.  Sweetie lay down and relaxed and I plugged my phone in to recharge.  My waiting anywhere is better when I can charge up my phone or Chromebook.

Dr. Merel Huff was my doctor today.  I had her before with Gretchen last summer.  She's young and personable.  She took Sweetie's blood.  I waited another 45 minutes for the results --again not minding--and then was told that the blood reading was more elevated than last summer.  She has the beginnings of kidney disease.  It's time to seriously manage Sweetie's diet.  Dogs with kidney issues must be fed a diet lower in proteins and phosphorus.  Dr Huff recommended me looking at Hill's Science k/d kibble...but who can afford $125 for a 27.5 bag of kibble?  The canned version at $54 for 12 cans isn't much better.  It's ok for one dog but I have seven dogs to feed.


It's time I research making my own food for Sweetie.  Boneless chicken, brown rice, pumpkin seem to be good for her, healthier for all the other dogs and more affordable in the long run.  The issue I have is keeping the food from spoiling; I can only make enough to feed the pack for a day.

We were at the vet clinic for almost two hours.  Dr Huff prescribed Galliprant for Sweetie's osteoarthritis.  The analgesic is $110 for a month's supply and is safer on her kidneys than carprofen.  The total bill was $391.


Afterwards I took Sweetie to PetSmart, placed her in a cart and gave her aching bones a reprieve as I walked the aisles.  She seemed to enjoy the attention, as she sat upright and looked around, her Yoda ears at that perfect angle.

My little warrior princess is now aging and frail.  I'm thankful I have Susan as a friend who can give her a peaceful refuge.

The PetSmart in town does not carry Hills Science k/d, but one helpful employee suggested trying a plant-based protein kibble.  The store carries one brand, Natural Balance Limited Ingredient, a 4-pound bag for $24.   Protein is 18%, so lower than most traditional kibble at 26%, but higher than Hills Science 11%. Both Hills Science and Natural Balance both use brown rice as the #1 ingredient, but both divert from there.

We stopped at Culvers for a custard treat before heading back to Susan's where Sweetie will stay until Susan leaves for a week-long trip to California sometime next week.  She will let me know when I have to pick her up.


I stayed until 9pm.  We walked the property at sunset.  Sweetie came along.  Susan asked me if I felt any different now that I'm alcohol-free, but I said it was too early to tell, as I often go on dry spells for health reasons. I haven't had any behind-the-eye headaches in almost three weeks and I don't feel the fatigue I had before.  The fatigue right now is from the oppressive heat.

No comments:

Post a Comment