Tuesday, June 6, 2023

Garden Canyon walk

It has been a while since I walked the road in Garden Canyon on Fort Huachuca.  I wanted to see how badly eroded it is.  The post has closed the road due to heavy erosion after the winter storms. Even large trucks were getting stuck. I joined the local MeetUp group for their weekly Tuesday hike up that canyon at 8am.


I got up at 6am to walk Gretchen for a mile before realizing I would have to leave by 6:15am to get to the trailhead parking by 7am to be early. I made it there by 7:45am with most of the people already there: Susan, Steve, David, Laurie, Bonnie. Suzi and a few others I didn't recognize.  It was cool, breezy, and overcast; a good day for a walk. 


Water in the creek next to the road was low, but there was still enough flowing to cool off the dogsThe walk didn't start out well.  Sahne saw the other dogs and immediately got defensive, lunging at any dog coming toward her.  She didn't calm down until we were on the walk, separated by the fast and slow group.  I walked with Susan and Laurie and her older dog Coco.


Coco and Sahne quickly warmed up to each other and I could unleash Sahne.  She was fine until we got to the turn-around point by the old boy scout hut.  She didn't want other dogs near me and snapped at any dog getting too close to me.  I had to sit away from the others.


It was getting warm as we started the return.  The heat tired me out.  I slowed down to take photos since the shade earlier darkened the photos, but now the group I was with, David, SteveD and Chris, left me behind. I was not feeling well in the end and I excused that to dehydration.


I stopped at Culver's for a chicken sandwich and three scoops (!) of cashew caramel custard.  Never again.  While tasty, it was hard to eat with just one hand, and too much. 


I took a two-hour nap when I got home, feeling much better when I awoke but didn't do much else due to the heat.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment