Thursday, June 2, 2016

Thompson saddle hike (3.1m)

I had been wanting to lead this hike with the meetup group and finally did so! Weather was predicted to be in the low 80s with some cloud cover, just what one needs ascending an exposed northwestern slope. I posted the hike only 24 hours before hosting it and Bille, Jay and Holly signed up. They are all known fast hikers. In fact, today I held up the rear. I took all three hiking dogs with me: Sadie, Minnie and Zeke. Since this trail is a well-known smuggling route, I brought all three of them for protection. It's the first time in over a year that I brought all three dogs on a group hike.
We met in Hunter Canyon's parking lot and car pooled the four miles to the trail head, since the parking area safely only holds three cars and USBP like to park here. We started at 5:46pm and quickly hit the sunshine before reaching the mile mark at 26 minutes. I really felt slower than 26 minutes, and the other three were all ahead of me. Even here the small oak trees are turning yellow from lack of water.
Sadie and Minnie were up front with the others but Zeke stayed by my side the entire time. None of the others had been up this trail, and it was a pleasure to show them the views. We meandered up the steep grade (an elevation gain of 1100' in 1.55 miles) and while Bill and I rested at the saddle, Jay and Holly explored the trail a bit farther uphill. Here's where I gave the dogs their waterbreak. Minnie was panting the entire time and hogged most of the water, but this time I brought extra knowing she'd claim it all.
The sun was ready to sink behind Miller Peak when we arrived at the saddle, but low-lying clouds concealed the sun sooner, making this potentially hot ascent much cooler. We all appreciated that! By Thursday we'll be in a heavy heat wave, with highs on Saturday to reach 97F!!!

We saw black smoke coming from a small fire in Sonora.

We were on the saddle for about 15 minutes and then descended. We were back at the cars in 1:27 hours, just before dusk and everyone agreed this was a steep but scenic hike. I really need to do this hike more often as I should not be struggling uphill, not with all the hiking I've been doing lately. Bill said he wants to do this quick hike more often, and I agree.

No comments:

Post a Comment