Friday, June 10, 2016

Day 7: Southeastern Oregon coastline

It was a quiet night in the RV lot yet I still was up early. It was 53F and my feet were cold! I quickly got the dogs ready and we resumed our northbound drive along the coast. By 6:30am I had entered Oregon. Redwoods lined both sides of the highway, keeping the sun out and the fog in. This is how I remember sun rises in Monterey years ago.

There are many coastal access trails from Highway 101 down to the coast. I took one such trail. It was just past 7am and no one was around. The sun was trying hard to shine through. The dogs were loving the coolness of this fern-lined trail. We did 35 minutes and 1.4 miles. I never did find a trail leading to the beach, but the day was young and there was so much to explore.

My goal for the morning was to get to Gold Coast early enough to enjoy the town. Kevin said he heard it was worth seeing. The town is spread out along the shore with an inlet on the south and north end of town. An 1850s whaling ship lies moss-covered near the Patterson bridge. Mail boats are docked in the harbor. The volunteers at the visitors center were very helpful and recommended I see the state's oldest myrtle tree nearby: the trail is only a quarter-mile long and ten miles away. I figured why not?



More later

No comments:

Post a Comment