Friday, June 17, 2016

Day 12: North Seattle to Wenatchee

Lynda is in Seattle getting her Vanagon's transmission working again and staying with a friend. She invited me up for a visit and I grabbed that opportunity to spend time with people again. After an early start and a drive through Tacoma (which I remember from years ago when I was in the area thanks to the army) I called her and agreed to meet her in the morning. It was listed as a 78-minute drive but that I-5 was congested. My GPS app had me drive side roads to get to the address Lynda had given me.

I arrived at 10am. Lynda was inside the beautiful Victorian home playing "Cards of Humanity" with her friends, and I joined in. I had never played that game, but have heard about it. It certainly can be a riot. Becka, whose house I was at, also made me two lattes and offered me some of her pie. What gratiousness!

Lynda and I finally got going at 11:30am. She had suggested an overnight day trip to a Bavarian village named Leavenworth and to stay the night in Wenatchee. Never having been in the area, I agreed.

We travelled first to Marymoor's dog park, a huge dog park off a bank of a river. Parking was $1 and all the dogs were off leash. Minnie got to fetch sticks in the water and take other dogs' balls. Amazing how dogs are so much friendlier when they are off leash and having fun. We managed to walk 1.92 miles around the area, just chatting away and getting each other updated on the latest in our lives. I could have stayed longer at the dog park and walked more, but we still had a bit of a drive to Leavenworth.

Leavenworth really does look like a Bavarian village, complete with Maibaum and buildings decorated with religious paintings. After a stroll through town, we ate a fine meal at the Bavarian Bistro and Bar where we both had schnitzel and a beer. We continued on to Wenatchee where Lynda had reserved a room at the Motel6 ($101!!!) where the dogs could relax. I was up late reading and trying to catch up with my blog and Amazon reviews, but I barely made any leeway in either. It's hard to read for long while on the road.

No comments:

Post a Comment