Monday, June 20, 2016

Day 17: drive to Bremerton

Today was an off day. I was exhausted from the hikes the day before, but had planned on at least four miles. Weather had other plans for me, though.

It was a cold morning in the forest. I was up at 5:30am to continue my Mountain loop, but pulled over an hour later to nap some more. It was my second day sleeping in the front seat. Minnie must have loved spreading out on my cot! The highway was quiet and there were many turn off for several creeks to let the dogs out, but I was too tired to walk. I kept on driving.

The Hountain Loop is in part on SR530, hwere on March 22, 2014 a massive landslide killed 43 people, injured ten and destroyed many homes near Darrington. I had noticed several older landslides but this one looked fresh. When I stopped to photograph it, realized that I was looking at the fornmer death scene that had made the national news two years ago. A memorial forest has been planted, one for each victim, and each tree has memorabilia of that victim: photos, old shoes, even six-packs of PBR. Snohomish County still wants to build on this memomrial and has closed the hillslide for future development.

I drove south on WA9 through some pretty logging towns, then stopped in Everett for lunch. I decided by midday to take the ferry from Edmonds to Kingston and am so glad I did.

More later

No comments:

Post a Comment