Monday, June 27, 2016

Day 24 - Glacier National Park

I was up early for an early drive into Glacier National Park. After gassing up and letting the dogs drink from the Flathead River on the northeast side of town. The sun hadn't risen yet over the mountains and it was chilly. Few people were up at 6:30am, and when I got to the West Glacier entrance, the attendant wasn't in yet. I bought my annual National Parks Pass in southern Oregon, so I had no worries.

The drive along the paved road "Road to the Sun" starts out in a valley along a lake. It was still very shaded and the trees along the road prevented an open view of the calm waters. I even pulled over to nap a bit, hoping a higher sun would give me better colors of the vista. The higher up the road climbed, the more spectacular the views. I stopped a lot, took a lot of photos, and was glad there was little traffic still. Cyclists are allowed on the road until 11am, and with the grade, would have to be strong cyclists to make it to Logan's Pass and back down.

More later

No comments:

Post a Comment