Saturday, June 25, 2016

Day 22 - Spokane

I wanted to take the morning off from driving around. I had my morning coffee at the base's Starbucks. I was hoping to find the laundromat but gave up. The fitness center offered shade for the dogs while I showered. I didn't leave the base until late in the morning, when I decided to stay local (if 46 miles is considered local?) and explore Mount Spokane state park. Once outside the city, the farmfields were dotted with yellow rapeseeds so common around Augsburg, Germany.

Much to my dismay, several thousands of others decided to visit the state park as well. It was a nice day, in the low 70s, and I can't blame the many people for coming to this scenic park that offers expansive views east into Idaho, north and south. At just under 6000', it's one of the higher points in the area. Too bad I had to share it with so many others! The road to the peak had no guard rails, either, and it was a steep drop for any unfortunate driver not paying attention.

The park ranger suggested I hike the lower Kit Carson loop trail. He must have told a few more thousands the same thing, as when I got to the trail head parking lot, there were many other young families starting out. This would not be very enjoyable for the dogs (or me holding their leashes) so I decided to turn around, go back uphill toward the lower ski lodge, and hike a more remote nordic trail to the Quartzite Mountain look-out. This was a wise move as I only encountered one equestrian at the start, and a young family with stroller coming back down. There was no vehicular traffic and the dogs could enjoy a leashfree hike with shade and some mud puddles. The loop was just at five miles long. I was tired; the days of hiking are starting to exhaust me, but I know the exercise is great for the dogs.

More later

No comments:

Post a Comment