Thursday, October 21, 2021

Perimeter Trail going south from Miller Canyon

This trail is still under construction, but after school today Ellen took Susan and me on this new section.  I never even knew there was work done on extending the Perimeter trail south to Hunter Canyon.

We met at 4:15pm at the Lower Miller Canyon parking lot.  I brought Gretchen, Susan brought Allie.  It was a mild late afternoon.  Within a half-mile we were in the mountain shade.

This part of the trail is still unmarked.  Mountain bikers are buiding this extention, which goes along the foothills of the residential area.  I had never been back here.  I didn't even know there were trails here.    We saw small but affluent homes back here I never knew existed.  

We started at an elevation of 5100'.  The highest elevation was 5200' and it looks like the future trail will gain even more when it continues south of Bear Draw before descending again in Hunter Canyon.

Gretchen took off after a white-tailed deer that forced me to stop while the other two continued.  She eventually came back down to the same area she darted off from.  After this one incident, she opted to stay by my side, even when Allie took off after a squirrel.

The new trail stops at the 1.3-mile mark, just before the red markers disappeared from view and the trail dips down into Bear Draw.  During the monsoon there is a waterfall here.  I must come back when it rains to check it out!  The sun was too low by the time we turned around to see much detail, but there are definitely interesting rock formations tucked away.

We made this a loop of almost 2.6-miles.  There was still water in Miller Creek near the parking lot, which made this a treat for the dogs in the end.


No comments:

Post a Comment