Thursday, October 14, 2021

Our first morning below 40F

Both Hansel and Fritz refused to get out of the Honda yesterday evening after our walk and were quite content sleeping in it over night.  And all this despite the colder temperatures in the high 40s, with an early-morning frost of 37F forecasted for later.  I checked on them at 2am.  Both were sleeping contently in the back of the Honda.  Neither wanted to go inside. I let them be.  Even Minnie liked sleeping in the Escape on cool nights. Maybe this is the dogs' way of avoiding the chaos of the pack.

This morning, with an 11am medical appointment, I opted to stay close by for the morning walk.  I took Sahne and together with Hansel and Fritz still in the Honda, I drove down to the maintenance road for a quick romp.  This is only a three-mile drive to the trail head. I wore a winter hat to keep my ears warm, and an added quilt top.  The 37F didn't seem to bother the dogs any.  But brr, this is an early cold snap.

Once back home, I did another loop around the 'hood.  My neighbor Lesley still hasn't cleaned up the fronds in her front yard.  Perhaps she is expecting the palm tree owners next to her to do that?  I don't blame her. She's normally all over keeping her front yard looking well-kept.  I may just help her later today and throw the fronds that are in her yard into the neighbors' yard whose palm trees made that mess.

Today I noticed more storm damage from two nights ago.  I spotted a bent chain-link fence next door, a splintered back-yard climbing tower for kids four houses to our east an uprooted tree, and some roofing missing from one older mobile home down the street.  Our house and yard escaped any damage.

My medical appointment went well, although I had the usual "high-normal" blood pressure of 150/84.  I'm usually in the 130s and blame it on having a Diet Pepsi on my drive into town earlier.  My weight came in at just under 127 pounds (eight pounds less than 18 months ago and I feel it).  

I told the RN that I'm concerned about my itchy dry skin patches.  I also need a full physical.  It's been five years. With all the stress of Kevin and the dogs this past year, I'm nervous about being examined. I blame the unplanned weight loss of all the stress this year.  It's certainly been more stressful than normal.

The only other diversion I had was a 4:45pm river ramble with Susan and Allie.  I brought along Gretel, Wolfie, and Sweetie, who hadn't been on a leash-free walk in a few weeks. She is the youngest of the old pack.  At nine years old, she is also showing signs of rear leg weakness at times, but today she did quite well, in and out of the water.

We saw a lot of fallen branches along the river.  This was a 2.35 miles walk, but it was a calm, warm afternoon.  I couldn't help but not think of Zeke, who always enjoyed these river rambles.  He was happiest when he could be by my side, regardless of what I was doing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment