Friday, December 4, 2009

Winter Moon

The full moon the last two days has been a beautiful sight I wish I could have captured. My $3000 Canon camera, however, has been packed away so well even I don't know where it is. My little pocket camera does no justice.

I'm no fan of Old Winter but appreciate the season for what it does to the land. It gives the plants a chance to rest and go dormant. It adds the necessary cold needed for most stone-pitted fruit trees. Life will sprout up again in the spring, as it does every year after winter.

And so it also means that the white-capped mountains in a full moon emit a mystical blue hue at night. What breath-stopping beauty! For the past two days I've admired the scenery on my way home from class this week.

Tomorrow we are due our first deep freeze. Time to cover the more sensitive plants. My tomatoes outside are still alive, amazingly, but perhaps not for much longer. It's not like they will be able to flourish in this cold. We don't live in the tropics, afterall.

The club Christmas picnic is tomorrow as well. Boy, is it going to be cold! I'm making a German noodle dish, Spaetzle, which I made last year as well to great fanfare.

Sadie, as skinny as she is (and as much as she eats) doesn't tolerate this cold at all. While the old dogs enjoy frolicking in the back yard and terrorizing the utility trucks that drive up and down the back alley, Sadie would much rather sleep on Kevin's side of the bed during the day.

I just hope I could get over this damn cold/sore throat/cough.

No comments:

Post a Comment