Friday, December 18, 2009

The semester is over

My last class was Monday night. Tuesday morning I slept in as if to get caught up with lost sleep. I didn't do a damn thing all day. I worked the following two days, spending time in town. I tried to get all my textbooks for the new semester but the two women at the Cochise College bookstore were of no help. They totally ignored me when I asked what the names of the books were. I guess I shouldn't have admitted that I wanted to look up the books on-line and order them via Amazon, where the prices have been constantly lower by $15 to $20 a book. (The college bookstore has a contract with Barnes and Noble.)

I got to see my old army friend Dave last night. He was in town for a week but had been too busy with his project for us to get together earlier. He was exhausted and we were only together for about two hours. He called me an hour ago to tell me that his flight back to DC had been cancelled due to a massive snow storm that blew up and across the East Coast. He drove to Phoenix instead to spend the night at another friends' place and, according to Dave, "Save on a hotel room." It's really not that Dave has to worry about travel expenses!

While weather back East is snowy and cold, it was a beautiful day here. I was warm in my thin fleece sweater as I trekked up the trail today. I took the dogs up for a foothills hike for four miles, walking the illegal trails passed marked hunting areas. It had been five days since the dogs got their exercise, and this was my first mini-hike in a while.

Tomorrow, however, and in fact both days this weekend, I will be busy hiking right here. Saturday I'm leading a small group of people around the Perimeter Trail, a combination loop hike along the eastern foothills of the Huachucas with pretty valley vistas. This will be a nine-mile hike that shouldn't take more than five hours. On Sunday I plan on hiknig up Carr Peak for December. The snow that fell on the 1st is still quite visible, but hopefully all that white fluff has decreased in volume and won't be too treacherous to stomp through.

I now have a mellow week ahead getting ready for my trip. I want to read three books and get caught up with my Amazon Vine committment. I also have some seriously cleaning up to do around the house, a chore I never get any help from Kevin unless it's the kitchen, and the tedious tasks like scrubbing out the frig or oven always remain undone. "My idea of dirty is not the same as yours" he keeps saying.

I want to get my little office here organized. My DVD documentaries have increased in volume and I need shelves to display them all. I have books stacked up three feet high. What I need is a custom-made shelf for my computer wall, but getting Kevin motivated to make me one may take angelic intervention. I'm getting an iPod docking station for my iPod Touch which will go next to my computer so I can wire the system to its speakers. I have been completely enthralled with my little iPod and have learned to enjoy music again instead of 24-hour news. The iPod also has podcasts of Spanish lessons.

One thing I may not get the time to do is write Christmas cards, despite being in the spirit. The rest of the neighborhood, in contrast, remains dark. We don't have the impressive light show we had last year in the neighborhood. Too many homes around us remain dark and abandoned.

No comments:

Post a Comment