Sunday, December 20, 2009

West Hunter Canyon Trail












I did not hike Carr Peak today. Kevin gave me the impression he was game to walk Bear Canyon with me, but when we got up this morning he immediately started packing for his trip and turned that into an all-morning endeavor. He wanted to stay at home and relax. I stayed home as well and played with the computer.

It wasn't quite so warm as forecasted today. The sky was a grey overcast and it felt cool when I got to the West Hunter Canyon trailhead at 2pm. A Border Patrol van and a Sheriff Assist Team car were at the trailhead, but there was no danger with me going uphill.

I took my new Garmin eTrex Vista GPS system to try out. I still haven't figured out all the buttons but I had it reading a 1200' elevation gain from trailhead to trailend two miles up the mountain. The final reading was 6240' when I stopped to let the dogs get some water in the tiny watering hole of a creek. There was no snow at this level, so the snow I do see is at least at the 7000' altitudes.

This trail is not a particular scenic trail. Most of it is a jeep trail that the USBP use for their patrols. People who come to this canyon come here to hunt or target shoot. A few locals walk their dogs. Today I saw hunters out but no other traffic. The actual trail a mile uphill has been abandoned by the Forest Service but the remaining mile to the old homestead is worn-down by the illegals coming down from the Crest Trail. This is a steep and rocky trail with pretty views of the valley. In the summer this is an open and exposed trail, lined by manzanitas and oaks.

The dogs enjoyed this solitary hike. I didn't feel it at the time but I got back to the house two hours later in a deep sweat.

I may attempt Carr Peak tomorrow. It's supposed to be near 65F, which would make it near 50F at the peak. If I don't hike Carr tomorrow, I won't have any more chances in December. Am I ready for this? Are the dogs?

Dave called me from DC tonight. After a two-day delay and a detour back to Cleveland, he finally made it back to VA tonight. Both Dulles and Reagan airports had been closed for two days: the problem was not so much the snow removal, but figuring out where to put the snow. By the time Kevin arrives in Boston Tuesday afternoon the streets should be cleared enough.

http://www.phillyburbs.com/news/news_details/article/26/2009/december/20/county-hammered-by-heavy-snowfall.html
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/21/us/21storm.html?hp
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/local.html?hpid=topnews

No comments:

Post a Comment