Saturday, February 26, 2022

Perimeter Loop trail

Holly W texted me a few days to ask me if Zi could help her lead this hike. I last led this two years ago, before the pandemic hit. She posted it on MeetUp and listed me as a co-host. I led the vanguard while she stayed in the rear.

Start time was 9am. It was 32F and sunny. I was up shortly after 6 to walk the dogs. I had six of them in the RV and two cars. Fritz shared the bed last night and was very gentle. He got walked first. I also walked Hansel and then Sweetie, who seems happy just walking up and down the street to sniff and pee.

 But when I opened the CRV to get Gretel, Gretchen and Sahne leashed up, they instead pushed me out of the way to run down the street and fence fight with neighborhood dogs. The drama didn't last too long: they were back in the yard in 20 minutes, but. I was mentally anguished afterward. Lesson learned: I will never have those three dogs in the same car again.

I made it to the trailhead at 8:57am. Everyone was waiting for me. 
There were 15 people. Half of them were 
newbies to me, people who have been walking with the club on weekday mornings. Besides Holly, Ellen, Bonnie, Dave and SteveD with his dog Morgan, KarenB  was the only other non regular hiker I recognized. Cameron, a forest ranger from Douglas who hiked a moon hike with me last fall, also showed up.
We started promptly. I took the front with Dave, Karen, Cameron. I hadn't seen Dave in a while and we talked about his Russian and Ukrainian friends in Kiev and Moscow. We are now on Day 4 of a Russian invasion into Ukraine. The Ukrainians are giving the Russians resistance. I know Dave is worried about that news. Putin and Ukraine was our conversation for most of the hike. 
I stopped a few times to let the slower hikers catch up. Ellen stayed in the rear with Holly, Corinne, Bonnie and a new hiker, Craig.  There were plenty of other hikers all throughout this hike: at the Carr ruins, in the parking areas, and along the creek.
We waited 25 minutes in the end to wait for the slower group. It was in the mid 60s now. I got back home just as the 2pm news came on.


No comments:

Post a Comment