Saturday, February 19, 2022

Minnie has a tumor in her anal sac glands

I was able to get this appointment yesterday. I'm glad I did, because I kept forgetting to call from my classroom. It was slated for 5pm, but it took until 5:40 for Dr Bone to have time to see me.

He looked at the swelling around Minnie's anus and said that yes, it's a tumor. He didn't need to touch it. It feels hard and is the size of a tangerine. It wasn't  there in October when I last had her seen. I had X-rays and a heartworm test authorized  Her heavy breathing and the xrays reveal an enlarged right side of her heart, with fluid in her lungs. She is not a good candidate for surgery.
She was always a panter, even before she gained weight, but nothing was ever discovered. 

She is now over 11 years old. She is also arthritic, so I'm wondering if I should just let this tumor run its course.

My fetching girl's life will most likely come to an end before Sadie's, but I will make sure she is comfortable. Dr Bone prescribed furomecide, Enalapril, Vetmedin and carprofen; the first three are to manage congestive heart failure in dogs and cause dogs to drink more and therefore pee more. 

I also read up on anal sac gland tumors. They are fast growing and almost always malignant. She defecates with ease for now, but she may start showing difficulty as the tumor progresses. It may be then that I may have to decide to let her humanely pass.
2-19

1 comment: