Saturday, February 12, 2022

Hike to Contention City ruins and mill

Ellen had been wanting to explore this area. She had never been here. So I decided to take her and her friend Dolores to this former mill town on the San Pedro River 

We got started just after 9am, arriving in two vehicles. It was 45F. My dog today was Sahne. She got out the front door ahead of Hansel, so I decided to give her a try. This would be her first big hike since she went up Carr Peak with me last October, and her first hike this year. She was spayed January 10th and was helped enough for this adventure. I feel bad enough leaving her behind most of the time because she is dog aggressive and very hyper 

She did very well today, much to my surprise. She sniffed both Ellen and Dolores and seemed to give both her approval. She also stayed close to me, never darting off into the desert  like Gretchen does. Her only challenge was standing off to a bull that sauntered across the path, protecting his herd that was farther away. I leashed her back up and pulled her along until we were safely away from the cattle. She showed no interest in a chase 

There was water in the river this time. That surprised me, but I was thankful for that as Sahne frolicked in it, rolled around and dipped her snout in it multiple times. That gallon of water I carried in my pack was overkill, but better safe than sorry.
We rested in the shade by the old mill. The flora is still beaten, but the river glistened in the afternoon sun. We had our lunch here. Sahne didn't eat her chicken jerky treats ( the same ones that Sadie gladly would have) but she seemed interested in Ellen's Tuna salad. She wouldn't touch her shank steak after the hike, either, so I hope she's ok and not over exerted. Two oranges and some cashews were my only energy source. 
We explored the upper mill, walked around the area on FR4040 but didn't see any mines nearby. The only thing we saw was one other couple we had met earlier. The woman was having difficulty in the desert sun (she was wearing no hat) and looked flushed and suffering from heat exhaustion when we passed them again on our hike out. She clearly wasn't in the condition to walk seven miles in an exposed area.
We found the last remaining ruins of the old mill town, now secured by new concertina wire. The last remaining adobe wall is barely recognizable as a wall .

We looped around the lower area before crossing the river again for the return hike, diverting first on an old railroad bed before turning off a wash for a mile. This wash cut off a half mile and was quit passable. Getting back up the bridge to the main trail was the only difficulty.

Sahne was now clearly tired and it was 71F. We all agreed adding another 1.5 miles to the old presidio ruins was too much for us all. I was feeling the heat, too. So when we arrived back at our cars at 1:45pm, we all drove home. I stopped at the El Camino Cafe for a tasty chicken asada burrito before getting home by 3pm. It was my one meal if the day 

I walked the other dogs around the block before inviting Sahne into the RV. She didn't want to come in. I made her get in, hoping she would want to rest on my bed after the hike. 

But as soon as I got her inside the RV, Gretchen was on her like angry flies on cow shit. She was clearly the aggressor this time, so I just put Sahne back in the back yard. That dog deserves love, attention, lots of exercise and a good home and I feel her current living situation is not ideal. She deserves better 

Ellen mentioned that she would like to get a dog now that she works mostly from home, and showed an interest in having Sahne over for a weekend to see how that would work out. Sahne seemed comfortable around her, confidently coming up to her to lick her face  Ellen would be the perfect pet parent for Sahne, as both need a lot of exercise, and if she did take Sahne full-time, we'd know she'd get along well with Hansel and Gretel 




No comments:

Post a Comment