Thursday, February 17, 2022

Rehoming Sahne

Ellen and I agreed to meet after work today to get Sahne used to her new home. I Ieft the high school at 3:48, after grading the last of the quiz grades for 6th period. Then I had to walk Gretchen and Sweetie around the block so that they could poop and pee after being locked up in the RV since 6am.

The hardest part was getting Sahne out from the back yard without letting the other dogs out as well. She is strong and fast, and her brothers Fritz and Wolfie are, too. So I had to quickly get Hansel and Gretel into the Honda so that they would be two less dogs in the struggle.

Sahne knew I wanted her out of the house and was cooperative. She squeezed through the front door before her brothers caught on to the skeem. She also jumped right into the truck and stayed there while I also got a load of bedding ready to be washed.

Ellen has never had a dog before. She has a lot of questions about handling an active dog like Sahne. It's always hard the first few days and weeks for a dog to adjust to a new home. I worry that Sahne would cry in her high-pitched whine because I'm not around. She has never spent a day away from me except for short day trips to Phoenix or Tucson. Would she poop and pee all over her house in panic, destroy expensive things out of boredom, or try to run away and find her way back home?

I saw her new home, a 1700- square foot home with a shaded back yard bordering a wash. The yard is smaller than mine, but what worries me is the low wall on her eastern side. It's only about three foot high. There is brick landscaping that could allow Sahne to step on top of the bricks and jump over to the neighbors who also have a dog. 

Ellen's neighborhood has small lots but big homes. If she started out the door thinking she could get to Chris and Lori's dog Prince, she will be in a rude awakening. Ellen lives within city limits and leash laws are strict.

We walked Sahne twice around the block. I let Ellen handle her. She pulled at first, wanting to get closer to me. Sahne walks nicely for me, so I wasn't expecting her to pull. She did better on the second loop. Ellen got up front when we approached her house, and I snuck behind a parked truck to get out of view, waited for Ellen to get into her room, then darted off to my own truck 

I waited in my truck for a few minutes after Ellen closed her door. Sahne whimpered softly as she waited by the door, but Ellen felt comfortable letting me drive off, and I did.

I walked Gretchen and Sahne and then Hansel and Gretel for a combined 1.5 miles, making my daily mileage close to 7 miles.

No comments:

Post a Comment