Sunday, February 6, 2022

Minnie's last walk; Melville petroglyph loop

The morning started early with a 2.5-mile jaunt with Hansel, Gretel, Gretchen, Sweetie and Minnie to the maintenance road.  Since Minnie was already in the truck overnight, I ended her stay with a trip to the hidden stock pond, for one last visit for her so she could enjoy some water.

Minnie didn't walk far, and I made sure she didn't need to.  We started the walk with a visit to the pond.  The pond is starting to grow algae, but it still has a few deep spots for her to walk more at ease.  Despite the pain her arthritis must give her, she still swiped at sticks floating in the water.  That girl will always want to fetch!  I watched her with sadness, knowing that this could be her last trip to a swimming hole.

She hopped back into the truck while the other dogs and I continued for two more miles, down to the end of the maintenance road, and then back north where new houses are going up.  I got 2.6 miles in this hour with the dogs before going back home.  I had a bigger hike later with Ellen that I needed to get ready for,  a 6.2-mile hike to the Melville petroglyphs near the San Pedro River.

This hike was Ellen's idea.  She had been asking me every weekend for the past month if I wanted to join her and Rob on a hike, and every time I've had to bow out for other errands.  Saturday is the only day I have time to get things done.  Meetup time was set for 1pm at the north side of the Charleston Bridge. I was finally ready to break away from a burned-out house

I grabbed Hansel as my dog companion.  He hadn't been on a long hike in a while and needed the exercise.  I got to the trail head a minute before 1pm. Rob was already waiting.  It was the first time we had hiked together since Kevin died.  A few minutes later Ellen drove up and we were on our way.

It was sunny and clear and now 60F.  This route can get hot on a summer day, but it was fine today.

I had done this hike a few times, twice with the Huachuca Hiking Club and Kevin was with me on the first hike, years ago.  I still remember the photos I took of him then.

Hansel and I were up front, with Ellen and Rob behind me.  I gave them their privacy.  Hansel stayed by my side, never wandering off far other than to sniff the flora along the trail.

We didn't stay long at the petroglyph site.  By now it was getting warm.  We took a wash west from the site, getting back to the old railroad bed, and walked south for the final mile as we got back to the cars.

https://www.strava.com/activities/6642954846



No comments:

Post a Comment