Monday, July 8, 2019

Walking Chicago

Another day of perfect hiking weather!  That encouraged me to finish my daily errands early and then drive into Chicago for a LakefrontTrail hike. Kevin and I rode our bikes along the trail 20 years ago for its entire 18-mile route before turning west and riding back on city streets. We rode past Wrigley Field that time, in awe of such a big sports field being right in a residential neighborhood.  The last time I walked Chicago, I racked up 18 miles.  Chicago does that to me: I get on the Lake trail and both the architecture and energy of the city lure me forward.

I knew with Zeke I wouldn't be able to do 18 miles.  I was hoping more like eight, parking near the lake and walking the  Lake Trail for a few miles.  It depended on where I could find parking outside of the expensive zone where parking is $4/hour during the week.

My mistake was taking the slow route into the city.  I avoided I-94 due to construction, but then US41 had more construction in East Chicago and Hammond, forcing me to detour, turn around, and yell out unmentionables.  It took me 90 minutes to drive 50 miles, finding a perfect spot between the Shedd Aquarium and Planetarium on Solidarity Drive.  Parking here was $16 for nine hours.  I clocked in just before 2pm.  I had until 10pm.  Easy, I thought, I'll be back by 8pm!  Ha.

The view north of Shedd Aquarium offers a view of Chicago's sky scrapers, Navy Pier, and the lake.  It's a popular place to sit on the grass and just chill.  The Lake Trail  follows the lakeshore, with people skating, dog walking, cycling, jogging, even moving on their Segways.  There are many trails that veer off the main trail, with benches, trashbins, portapots now along the way.  Navy Pier is two miles north right off the Lake Trail.

It was 72F with a cool breeze off the lake.  It was perfect walking weather for me.  I figured with the lake right next to us, Zeke could feel comfortable stopping for a drink.  Instead, the sun warmed him quickly and I could tell he was uncomfortable under full exposure.  That's when I opted to cut away from the lake and walk through Grant Park, pass Buckingham Fountain, and head toward the reflective Cloud Gate, aka "The Bean."


Much more to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment