Tuesday, July 16, 2019

A walk along the lakeshore

We never got the forecasted residual rains from Tropical Depression Barry.  The grass was wet when I took Zeke out for his morning pee, but the driveway was dry.  I was so hoping for at least one heavy daytime storm while here.

I took Zeke for a walk around the 'hood, walking north on Madison, then west on North street, and then cutting back into the Sportsplex for the return loop.  It was 6am and still cool out.  This time I went into the white dome tent to see what was inside.  It's an indoor track!  Now I know why it's so busy here during my C'mas visits: locals come here to run and walk off energy.  The inside doors were closed this morning, though, so we went on.

The forecast was changed to "scattered showers" throughout the day.  The sky looked dark from the north, but nothing nearby.  I took the risk and went to Kemil Beach again, determined to walk the three-mile lakeshore, from Kemil Beach on East Park Boundary Road to the old beachhouse on state park land.  I've done this walk many times.  It's tranquil, dogs are allowed, and not too many people venture out that far from either trailhead.

I got started on my walk at 2:35pm.  There were a few people on the beach, but no one in the water.  Skies to the north and west were dark, though, and a couple carrying beach gear was coming from that area to get away from the dark clouds.  Would it storm?  The farther west I got, the closer I got to the rain.  Yes, it looked like rain was falling to the west!  People were clearing the designated swimming area.  A second cousin of mine was electrocuted in Lake Michigan back in the 1980s when she was on her sailboat.  I fear storms over water and don't want to be another family casualty.  I walked along the shore until it began lightning to the west.  I don't mind thunder, but lightning will get me to beat feet in a nanosecond.

I had a mile to go to reach the beachhouse, but I felt it wiser to turn around at the two-mile mark and head back to the car.  Lightning can travel many miles before striking an object.  The storm clouds were now moving away from the lakeshore and going north of me.  That still didn't make me feel safe, but at least the rain wasn't pelting me.

Someone had placed cairns along the beach, using washed-up bricks found in the sand.  Where had they come from?  Towns in northern Indiana, like Hobart and Lake Station, had once been well-known for their brick-making.  (The high school mascot for Hobart High School is the Brickie.)  The edges of the bricks were well-worn, but they were still quite recognizable as bricks.

My walk was just over four miles, the minimum I strive for.  The beach was now empty as I got back to the road for the half-mile walk back to the Honda.  Not wanting to waste the day, I continued my drive into Michigan City where I wanted to check out the Shoreline Brewing Company.  It's on the South Shore Brewing tour and a place I'd been to a few times.  Its beers are decent and the building is a restored warehouse.  I like upcycled buildings like that.

It was cool enough to let Zeke stay in the car.  I went inside to try a "Region Rat" amber ale and a nitrogen-infused porter, the "Singing Sands."  I didn't stay long because of Zeke, and went back to the car to join him.  I stayed in the car longer going over my social media, than I was inside.  I was mostly aghast at watching at least three brewery employees go outside to smoke.  Yuck.  If I were an employer for a food or beer industry, I would not hire any smokers.   It's 2019, people, why are you still smoking!!!

I ended up stopping one last time at Zorn's.  At least here Zeke is welcome.  And to my great surprise, the bartender, Danielle,  from three weeks ago recognized me, remembered my name AND the witbeers I like.  Oh my.  That is impressive.  Right away I felt welcome, brought Zeke inside.  Johnny Vee, a local musician, was playing his classic rock songs. (He sounds like Neil Young). I spent a few hours before heading back to Crown Point.   I really like Zorn's brewpub.  I will come by here again on my next visit to the Region.  I hope Danielle is still working here.  This has been my favorite brewpub in NWI.  It's only a shame it's 30 miles away.

Tomorrow I'm going with Erin and the boys to the Children's Museum in Indianapolis.  I already have a reservation for Zeke to stay at Coyne's dog boarding.

No comments:

Post a Comment