Wednesday, October 25, 2023

Our first Autumn rain

 

Hurricane Otis ravaged across Aculpulco, Mexico today, hitting landfall as a Cat5 storm.  We got the frontal rains yesterday, beginning at sunrise with dramatic clouds.  It was a cool morning walk with the dogs; it was the first time my cheeks felt chilled this season.


Heavy rain was forecasted for 5pm, but the rains arrived earlier.  My classroom has no windows so I couldn't see any rain, but all teachers were emailed a message just before the final bell to not dismiss the students at 2:45pm due to lightning.  Dismissal was delayed by ten minutes as students were allowed to wait in the cafeteria.  Students waiting for parental pick-up had to wait inside and have the parents come in and sign them out.  I had a lot of angry students to deal with that last hour.


It had stopped raining when I got home. I could tell that the area was hit hard by rain.  There were puddles in the streets. I came home to a very muddy front yard.  None of the dogs was wet or had been in the rain.  Gretchen has her dog house and Fritz and Gretel can go inside the RV.

Today, as expected, the morning temperature was 48F.  What a contrast to yesterday's 55F!  The autumn chill is now with us.  

No comments:

Post a Comment