Sunday, October 1, 2023

Bisbee Stairs and the Kafka coffee shop

 I would have forgotten about today's stair climb had Bill not reminded me of it yesterday on my way to the science lab.  We agreed to meet at 6am.

Cooler temperatures are now prevailing after a record-breaking summer heat.  It was a mere 55F at the start.  I never took off my fleece jacket during the walk.  Bill and I chatted about the usual politics and the fate of Trump after he was found guilty of tax fraud in New York and may lose six of his biggest properties.  Bill bought a new-to-him BMW motorcycle and he rode that this morning.

The orange flowers from two weeks ago are still in bloom, but slowly the Halloween skeletons are coming out of the closet. We only met one (very friendly) deer and later a Siamese cat and a few people. 

For me the fun began after the walk. I stayed in town for almost an hour before the Kafka coffee cafe opened at 9am.  I've been wanting to try that place out all summer!  I ended up staying two more hours.



The cafe is owned by a couple.  He makes the coffees and she talks to the customers.  She is a wonderful hostess.  She welcomes her regular customers by name and even knows what they have.  



One such customer, Wanda from Gordonville, MI, sat next to me at the bar and we had a friendly conversation for a good hour.  She told me several times that her sister would play the accordion, and she would dance to the music, all around small cafes around her home town. "I wish my sister would come visit me so she can listen to this music!" she said, several times.



My cappuccino was strong, but flavorful, and sweetened with vanilla-flavored sweet cream. Delicious!

And then classmates from my CCMN class started showing up:  Kara, then Gordon and Lori, and then both instructors, Amee and Trevor.  I stayed to listen to The Barn Swallows play their original music, but left at 11:20am when it got too crowded.   But what a lovely Sunday morning.

I always enjoy my time in Bisbee.

No comments:

Post a Comment