Saturday, September 30, 2023

Walking the San Bernadino National Wildlife Refuge

There are no hiking trails in the refuge, but one can walk the dirt roads.  Trailhead parking is off the Geronimo Trail. Admission from this entrance is free. I  lost phone reception as soon as I drove into the refuge.



I finally got started at 12:37pm.  It was 90F with no clouds in the sky and yes, I was doubting my sanity.  I didn't enjoy the 1.3-mile walk to the pretty parts, but I was determined to walk most of the perimeter and to check out the other two ponds that are fed via the aquifer.



The Vista View at the 0.6-mile mark offers somewhat of a view down into the valley and far into Mexico's Sierra Madre Ocidental ranges.  Someday I hope to get down there.

I returned to the main road, traveled in a SE direction, and then turned on the dirt road leading to the Slaughter Ranch, which borders the refuge.  There are two ponds along the way and both are marked by several mature cottonwoods.

It was here that I saw several bullfrogs leap out of the water, squeaking briefly as they jumped.  Just past the second smaller pond I spooked a flock of white egrets as I headed south toward the border wall. A warm breeze blew during the entire walk.



I never saw another person along this walk.  No USBP vehicle came up to me to check me out, either.  At the border I continued a mile east, walking in the shade of the wall. A lone kestrel shrieked at me, a few vultures flew overhead, and several smaller birds flitted among the wild sunflowers and tall grasses.

I cross the Rio Yaqui, which was barely flowing, and then continued north on a dirt road on the east bank of the Yaqui until I reached the area I was earlier with my class.




I rested by the pond for a half hour, relaxing to the sound of flowing water and the shrieks of several birds.  Red dragonflies entertained me.

My unsocked feet were now hurting from lack of support, but I made it back to the truck in 2:11 hours. It was  2:45 pm.  My next destination was Douglas and a decent Mexican meal.

I stopped at a memorial cross were a migrant was found dead, and later some roadside art.  The city of Agua Prieta, south of Douglas in Sonora, glistened in the midafternoon sun.  Dust was hovering over the city from the winds.  I'm sure this desert offers spectacular lightning storms during the monsoon.

I was hungry and thirsty.  I had consumed three 22-ounce cans of lightly-sweetened ice tea on my drive.

I ended up stopping at two places to eat in Douglas.  My first choice was Asadero el Guero.  I had a green chile chicken burrito but there was little advertised cheese and beans.  I ended up having a filling meal at a smaller and quieter place a few blocks north, at a corner cafe called El Rinconcito del sabor where the entire menu is in Spanish only.  My young server, a polite young man, had as much difficulty with English as I had with Spanish, but an older woman behind the counter acted as our translator.  I had a very filling chicken taco salad.

Both restaurants were in the poor section of town, but both were good.  I took the second burrito home to have for breakfast tomorrow.

I drove home through the sunset, arriving after 7pm back home.  It was a long day. I'm glad I got to spend some time at the refuge, but I would not consider it a destination road trip.

https://www.fws.gov/refuge/san-bernardino


No comments:

Post a Comment