Friday, September 9, 2022

Harvest Moon over Brown Canyon

The official full moon is tomorrow, but I've learned that most people don't want to hike on a late weekend night, so I scheduled a hike in Brown canyon at 4:30pm for today.  This gave the group of six two hours for the five miles.  The only person I knew who came was SteveA.  Holly, Susan and SteveT all dropped out for various reasons.  I got to meet Chris, Laurie, Bob and Becky instead. Bob and Becky brought their dog Taffy along, whom I first met on my Perimeter Loop trail earlier this year.  Hansel was my canine partner and he did very well staying near me and getting along with Taffy, who kept wanting Hansel to chase him.  Hansel wasn't interested.


Two days ago we were forecasted to have a severe storm late evening; residual rains from TS Kay.  The sky did look menacing all afternoon, but radar showed no storms over our area.  It was a risk I took and I'm glad I did, as we managed a pretty moon rise in the end. The weather was calm with the hint of fall in the air. We had the trail all to ourselves.


There is still water trickling in the canyon, but the grass is now turning slowly brown. 

No one in the group wanted to go out for a beer or meal afterward, so I took SteveA up on his offer to stop by his place for dinner.  We watched "House of Gucci" on TV while Hansel napped by my side.

 


The full moon was high above us when I got home,  Hansel insisted on staying in the truck for the night.  I logged on to Facebook and immediately learned that one of history teachers at the local high school committed suicide in Miller Canyon earlier today.  His dying body was discovered at 1pm by a hiker who heard a gunshot.  The teacher was also one of my instructors at Cochise College 11 years ago when I took his "Diversity in Education" class, a required course for my certification.

The news of the suicide spread to several local Facebook pages I belong to.  Apparently the teacher was told yesterday that there were allegations of him sexually abusing students ten years ago that just now came to surface.  While the teacher was not my favorite instructor at Cochise Collete because he often made racist or ageist comments, but they were never sexual in nature.  He was a good teacher and I admired him for his good classroom management.  I never once heard any rumor of him sexually harassing any student in the 13 years I knew him.

I couldn't sleep after reading the news of his death.

https://www.kvoa.com/news/local/sierra-vista-teacher-accused-of-inappropriate-conduct-with-students-dies-by-suicide-officials-say/article_82d47090-32e0-11ed-b70c-2fa38c1a7041.html

 

No comments:

Post a Comment