Monday, September 5, 2022

Babocomari Cascades



Today was a repeat hike to the Babocomari cascades, but this time with Ellen and SteveT.  I decided not to host this to the group because the first half-mile of this hike is on State Trust Land and a permit is legally required to pass through this land.  I bought a family pass; Steve could pass as my partner.  We brought Trace and Hansel.  It was sunny and clear and 71F at the start.

This was the first time SteveT and Ellen hiked together.  We all hiked at a moderate pace.  No one was slow.  I felt better than yesterday and was grateful for a fairly level hike.

I didn't hear the water rushing when we got to the wash, which concerned me. Once at the cascades, there was clearly less water than last week, from 2.2m to just under 100cm.  Water was still flowing but not rushing.
Ellen and I went down to the water while Steve rested on top of the old bridge.  It was easier to explore the bank with less water.  There's more water coming in from the west, but it was too deep to wade through.  Now I'm curious to know how far back the flow goes.  The Babocomari river is only 25 miles long and begins in the Sonoita Basin, but it's usually dry for most of its length.
Next time I'm going to explore the short cut, to avoid the big half-loop half-way through this hike.  This would shorten the hike by at least two miles r/t and allow for me to go farther west up the stream. 

We also explored a tunnel under the old railbed, and a rock wall up on a hillside.  The dogs took a few runs down to the water on our return walk.  They also jumped into the muddy trench for one last dip before getting back into the cars.

We finished the hike with a trip to Culvers where we sat outside.  Both dogs were treated to a pupcup each.







 



No comments:

Post a Comment