Monday, September 12, 2022

Fall is in the air; monsoon is fading

 The news of the suicide of Tim Wells was still on my mind when I got up to walk Gretel and Gretchen.  I wasn't in the mood to be at the high school today, so I lay low and made it a doggie day.  I took Hansel with me for a drive-thru breakfast, then took him for a lap around the dog park.  

There weren't many people in the dog park section, so we played fetch solo, walked a lap around the park, then went home.  Hansel insisted on napping in the truck.  Fine.  At least it was cool and breezy.

I worked a bit on filling up the trash bin with backyard trash, then let Sahne and Fritz in the front yard for a bit. Fritz sniffed around, pooped under the mimosa tree, then sat by my side.  He's looking like he lost some weight.  He's tall and slender now, much like Sadie was in her prime, but with a much bigger and rounder head.

Sahne was hyper, though.  I can't blame her, as she's been in the back yard for over a week without an off-leash walk.  She was so hyper, though, that I called Susan to see if I could come over and let Sahne and Hansel run around her acreage.  She's always telling me I'm always welcome to bring the dogs over for some exercise. She had to decline because she had to make some phone calls to her mother-in-law in California and to her granddaughter Isabella, whose 19th birthday is today.


My only option now was a quick run down the maintenance road for Hansel and Sahne, and I only had 30 minutes before sunset at 6:33pm.  This gave me 52 minutes and 2.5 miles  with the two dogs while a distance storm to the south appeared to be coming my way.


The storm, however, never came.  It moved northeast instead, over New Mexico and far eastern Cochise County.  Heavy grey clouds around me diffused any sunset colors, with the fading sun only visible behind a low western cloud.


I rewarded both dogs with a stop at McDonald's afterward, where I ordered a McNugget meal and gave each dog five chicken nuggets while I feasted on fries and a Coke.  Not exactly my ideal meal, but I wanted an excuse to give the pups some personal time.

It was in the truck that I noticed a heavy cut on the tip of Sahne's right ear.  This wound was bleeding.  Whenever she shook her head, blood splattered on the dashboard.  She didn't seem to be in any pain, but I soaked up several napkins with her blood before the wound healed.  She mostly likely cut herself on a wire fence while running to the hidden stock pond with Hansel on our way back to the truck. It had stopped bleeding by the time I drove back home.

I had planned on having Sahne stay in the RV with me overnight, but Gretchen had other plans.  Both dogs were immediately at each other's throats when I got through the gate, so I had no choice but to force Sahne back in the back yard.  I have to work tomorrow for sure, so this is one less dog to walk before school.



  

 

No comments:

Post a Comment