Sunday, September 4, 2022

Gold Hill area

Distance: 4 miles

Elevation: 5090' at start.  High point: 5251', low point: 4956'.

Significance: geologic formations, grinding holes


I didn't get started on my hike in the Gold Hill area until 1:50pm.  I had a slow start due to my congestion, which got me up at 1:30am.

SteveA told me he had never been in that area from the north end and wanted to check it out, and I didn't want to waste a holiday not exploring something.  It was 80F and sunny, but  with a refreshing breeze.  He  came by  in the early afternoon and together we drove to the trailhead.  Hansel was my hiking partner.  It was 80F, sunny, with a slight breeze.


And oh my, how green the hills looked!  This area is known for its ocotillo forest and pin-cushion cacti. The ocotillo were all leafed out. All our August rains also caused the grass to grow so tall that all the trails were well-hidden from any high point.  The footpath along the drainage was hard to see because the  grass was hiding it.  But despite all the green, there wasn't that much water flowing.  I had perhaps missed the high water flow by a week.  There was enough water for Hansel to enjoy, though, and he did seem to revel in today's romp

Our track became a loop of down one drainage and back via a wash before ascending the big hill.We hiked past six grinding holes (mortars) I had never noticed before.  Steve is interested in native history and began showing an interest in the hike.  The mortars were on top of a large conglomerate  rock with a swimming hole below that Hansel took advantage of.






We discovered the most interesting things along the drainage and wash.  This is where water settled. We continued toward Ivanhoe mine, the same mine Susan and I explored over 18 months ago and rested under a black walnut tree to take in some shade.  He had been to that mine years ago and wasn't interested in seeing it again.  (There isn't much to see there), so we turned around here. It was slow-go at first, and I felt dehydrated and tired.  My allergies this summer are draining me of my energy!


While we were walking through open-range land, we saw no cattle and saw very little evidence that cattle had recently been in the area.  We did, however, see lots of yellow and blue butterflies on the damp, muddy surface near water puddling (taking in minerlas).  I tried to photograph the butterflies upclose, but Hansel always managed to chase them away.



Our hike took us 3:45 hours for the four miles. I was now even more thirsty and hungry.  We finished our hike with a quick meal at Chuy's in Bisbee where we sat on the patio in the back.  Hansel rested under the table and enjoyed a few chicken bites. 


No comments:

Post a Comment