Wednesday, December 23, 2020

Yaqui Springs exploratory hike along the border

This hike/ramble was something I came up with after seeing the wall construction along the international border yesterday, after hiking in Wakefield canyon.  The east side of Montezuma's Peak has been dynamited for a switchback road along the border.  I wanted to get a closer look.  Ellen and Susan came with me.  The only condition I had was that I had to be back home by 1pm so that I could get ready to meet Kevin at 2pm for his birthday meal at Texas Roadhouse.

Susan, Ellen and I met at 9am at the parking lot in Hunter Canyon.  There were already several cars here.  I brought Sweetie, Zeke and Gretel and Susan brought her Allie.   We drove in separate cars to the parking area right on the border on FR 4781, across from a row of parked CAT construction vehicles.  Ellen and Susan had never been here before and depended on me to lead the way.  Temperatures were in the mid 50s, a tad chilly, but I figured the hiking would warm me up and I wouldn't need to wear my hooded sweater.  (I was right)


I had never been to Yaqui Springs before, though, and could only guess on its location based on Google Earth maps.  The map said the springs was right off a spur road coming off the International Border Road, but in reality that "road" was a badly-eroded former ATV trail that is now more of a faded two-track along a ridge.  To avoid trespassing on the construction zone, I took us over and through three ravines, all which surely would be refreshing, shaded areas if there were water running


The eastern slopes of Montezuma's Peak have a fascinating geology unlike other parts of the Huachucas.  One can see high limestone and conglomerate cliffs that leak water after a rain, leaving white mineral deposits behind.  The flora is typical oak-pinon-juniper forest, mixed in with prickly pear, agave, fragrant sage and some cholla.  I'm sure after a heavy rain, these slopes would be even more dramatic. Big conglomerate boulders also dot the lower slopes.  The only trails here are faint paths from animals and border crossers.


I took us toward where I suspected the springs to be, along a ravine that guided us up a dry waterfall.  The dogs explored the rock slopes and even found a few pools of water.  The conglomerate here provides excellent traction as the rock is not smooth at all.  Allie had some difficulty over the higher steps, but we managed to make it 1.3 miles before turning around when we decided the rock was too loose and overgrown.  We could see our cars parked off the road. Perhaps on a day when I had no time restrictions would I want to come back here.




The waterfall we climbed up offers water for the white-tailed deer that live here.  We spotted several, along with many deer droppings, even some old water bottles and sun-bleached backpacks from border crossers.  We were moving slowly up the steep slope, brushing catclaw and cacti out of the way.  Animals that live here are protected not just by the rock canyon, but by living in a national park where no hunting is allowed.




We started our descent at 12:15pm.  Going down the steep slope was easier on all of us, but just as treacherous.  The dogs loosen rocks and cause rocks to pummel down, so we all kept our distance.


I found the official Yaqui Springs on our return walk, a muddy pit surrounded by a rock wall with evidence of recent cattle visits.  The area smelled like a cattle pissoir.  The springs was right off the ridgeline that comes off the border wall.  We took this ridgeline back to the border road to get a closer look of the construction here. The border wall on the western slope of Montezuma's Peak is a metal hedgehog meant to keep cattle from Mexico from traveling north.  This is the area that needed a wall, not the area along the river that already had a wall there.  Will this section be finished before Trump leaves office?


We walked the border road back to our cars.  The dogs slipped in and out of Mexico, totally oblivious to the border.  We had walked just under  three miles when we left,  It was just past 1pm and I got home 30 minutes later to an exuberant Hansel whose cone by now was completely torn to pieces.  That boy was so happy to see me, he wouldn't leave my side.



Kevin and I had a pleasant meal at Texas Roadhouse that was only interrupted when I had to drive home to retrieve his truck key.  For the second time in our marriage, he had locked himself out of his vehicle.  He had called AAA for assistance but got no answer.  Luckily it was only a 30-minute diversion and he was able to drive home.

I'm so not into Christmas this year.



***

Global cases 79,235,961

Global deaths 1,747,854

US cases 18,917,100 (+249,102)

US deaths 334,218 (+3769)

AZ cases 473,273 (+6058)

AZ deaths 8179 (+54)

CA cases 2,010.813 (+41,371)

CA deaths 23,638 (+414)

IN cases 476,538 (+4662)

IN deaths 7645 (+64)

PA cases 586,908 (+9725)

PA deaths 14508 (+222)




No comments:

Post a Comment