Monday, December 28, 2020

Heading up to Phoenix for two days

I wanted to do another hike and brew roadtrip to Phoenix over my Christmas break and chose Monday through Wednesday because the weather forecast predicted rain and a coldfront coming through tonight through Thursday.  I just wanted an overnighter, much like what I did before Thanksgiving.  I have the same areas planned for hiking: South Mountain Park and the Phoenix Mountain Preserve.  I want to try out more of the OHSO breweries (there are four in the area) and the Goldwater Brewing Company.  I'm sure there will be a few non-planned visits, too.  I will spread the brewpubs out over the day so that I am not impaired.

I walked Sweetie, Gretel and Zeke at sunrise and then walked Hansel just before driving off.  I left food out for Willie and made sure the cats were ok.

I finally left the house at 1:20pm with Zeke and Gretel and the back of the Honda filled with recyclables.  Gretel wasn't too pleased with sitting on cardboard. Gas at our local gas station has now risen from $2.08 to $2.14. 

The one thing that scared me a bit were the winds.  It howled all day, with gusts up to 30mph.  The I-10 passage between Tucson and Phoenix is known for its blinding duststorms, and for one brief moment I was surrounded by blowing sand as I drove over an overpass.  But then visibility returned and the rest of the drive was normal.

I stopped at sunset at the Casa Grande Mountain Park right off I-10 to let the dogs run a bit and give them a chance to relieve themselves.  This was a well-planned stop.  There are always cars in the lot, but I never come across others on the trail.  We just did a quick two-miler and left as the sky broke out in pretty pastels. 

It was definitely colder this time in Phoenix than in November.  My first stop was at Wicked Brews, an unplanned stop on the south side of Phoenix as I pulled over for a quick break.  I sat with the dogs on the patio but probably should have left them in the car as we were all chilled,  Even the fire pit didn't help much.  I had two local beers that were both good, but pricey: the Sonoran White Chocolate ale and Helluva Mele Kalikimaka Porter, both were good, but the bill was $15.

I made it to downtown Phoenix by 8pm.  I had no plans, wasn't even sure where I was spending the night, and while driving through downtown on my way to the AZ Wilderness Brewpub, discovered the Greenwood Brewery with a spacious outdoor patio.  It turns out the place opened in July and is owned by a businesswoman.  I parked up front, kept the dogs in the car, and had a flight of five beers, all which were very good.  I'm glad I stopped by, but now need to visit the place during the day, after a hike, and preferably on a warm day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment