Saturday, December 5, 2020

Charleston-Millville loop

This was a short hike that SteveT led this morning, heralded as an historic hike with petroglyphs added for diversity.  He had 14 people show up for this hike, many of whom I didn't know.  HollyW, DavidB, TheresaD were in the group that I knew. I arrived with Zeke and Hansel at the last minute, only because I stopped for a stray cow wandering down Hereford Road.  (The cow, luckily, was safely returned to its owner)  

Hansel started whining in the parking lot, as soon as he saw his friend Trace.  Hansel likes to chase Trace and Trace enjoys the challenge, but because of the dogs, I stayed ahead of the group so that the dogs wouldn't be a nuisance. It took him two miles to calm down


The hike started in the Millville trailhead parking area, then down the wash to the river.  We rock-hopped across the shallow (and cold!) water to get to the West Bank, where the adobe ruins of Charleston are visible through the overgrowth of mesquite and prickly brush.

Steve was a good leader, waiting for the last one to hop across the river and helping out those who needed it.  I stayed up front to keep the dogs away from the crowd.  I went on ahead with David and Theresa who knew that I knew the way, as Steve and I had been here a few years ago.  I got a group to the old main street and told them that we were now in Charleston.  They look puzzled, as all they could see were trees.  "No, look again!" as I pointed at adobe ruins around me, "there are adobe ruins here hidden by the mesquite!" and suddenly the crowd noticed.

Charleston was the town where the miners who worked the mill across the river lived.  Its history was a mere 12 years, before the earthquake of 1887 in northern Sonora flooded the Tombstone mines and people left the area. Historical plaques along the trails describe the old town, with its main street and homes arranged in a grid.  The main store's adobe walls, one of the longest in town, still stands near a bluff by the river, hidden by mesquite.


From Charleston we went back across the river, now heading toward the mill.  Chris, one of the hikers from Tucson, walked with DavidB and me.  I took them to the highest point on the trail, a rock wall overlooking the river.  The old town of Charleston is completely covered by trees. We waited here a bit before the rest of the group caught up to us.


We all gathered here.  David was anxious to move on, so we climbed down the rock walls and into the small wash to the petroglyphs and the rest of the group followed!  The petroglyphs are not far from here.

BLM removed the two telescopes that once were here, helping viewers see the ancient art work better.  A faint trail up the rocks leads to the top, but it's a slow and treacherous trail as feet can get stuck between the rocks.



Both dogs followed me up the rocks.  Hansel whined a few times but Zeke quietly followed.  I could see the railroad bed travel south, the river, and the people below.



From here we walked back to the cars, finishing a 3.5-mile loop. Most of the people took off from here until it was just Steve and me.  He and I then had a pleasant lunch together at Native Grill in town, where  we enjoyed two beers each and a Margharita pizza.  Both Zeke and Hansel were well-behaved as we sat and dined.  They were more concerned about resting, but I gave my dogs some pizza crust and water.

I was home by mid afternoon.  Two hours later I took Gretel and Sweetie on their mile-long loop around the 'hood.





***

Global cases: 66,965,837

Global deaths: 1544,532

US cases: 14,983,373 (+223,843)

US deaths: 287,825 (+2394)

AZ cases: 358,900 (+6799), #15

AZ deaths 6925 (+40)

CA cases: 1340,716 (+34,510) #2

CA deaths: 19,879 (+169)

IN cases: 375,019 (+7690) #13

IN deaths 6207 (+85)

PA cases: 416,073 (+11374) #9

PA deaths: 11,354 (+134)




No comments:

Post a Comment