Friday, November 27, 2020

Wakefield Canyon Trail

Distance: 5.7 miles

Elevation gain: 1444'

Significance: remote and abandoned trails, isolation, views

This was a hike Ellen led.  The goal was to reach Copper Glance Mine as the trail looped around Lonesome Mountain.  We never quite made it.

I walked Sweetie and Hansel for two miles before meeting the others at 8am.

We were a group of five:  Ellen, HollyW, RobL, Sibylle (Ellen's friend from work) and I.  I brought Zeke and Gretel. This was Gretel's first group hike and she did fine.  She proved to me that she can handle meeting new people and staying nearby.  She didn't bark at anyone.

We met at Hunter Canyon and then carpooled.  I stayed alone with the dogs as they take up the entire back seat.  Gretel even likes to ride shotgun.  We stopped briefly at Montezuma's Pass for a bathroom break.  We saw no new wall construction on the west side of Montezuma. 

My Honda CR-V managed the few ruts in the road to where we parked, by an old cattle trough.  I had been here before with Kevin, Sara and Sammy years ago, and then a few years ago when Zeke chased cattle that were drinking from the water.  What memories.

It was a nippy 44F at the start.  I didn't bring hat or gloves but my grey hoodie kept me warm.



Today's hike allowed us to explore old mining shacks, the lower mine, and the steep ravine to the upper mines. There was water in the lower mines. Gretel followed Ellen to the mine opening.

The trail begins as a blocked off old mining road that is heavily bouldered in parts, exposed in other parts, and overgrown with new pine growth in smaller sections. The old road then disappears (washed away in floods or landslides?) so we took the steep ravine up. 


 Ellen's Garmin said this was the official trail.  A thick layer of dead leaves, steep, loose terrain and metal Jumex cans made this a treacherous section that required us to use whatever trees were nearby for support.


At the three-mile mark we rested by a pipe dripping water, ideal for the 0.  The higher we got in elevation along this steep and dry ravine, the more trash from border crossers we encountered.  Most of the trash looked old.  This was a nice resting spot for a snack and a break for the dogs, who were fascinated with Rob's salmon treats

The majority in the group elected to turn around at this point, so we did, but I told Ellen that had it just been her and I, we would have continued to the destination.  That will be for another time


We carefully descended, at times crab-walking or sliding on the leaves.  The dogs were also cautious.  Or perhaps they were just tired, as they quickly lay down in the back of the Honda and had an extra can each of Blue Buffalo chicken pate.  It had only warmed up to 54F when we left for the drive back home.

ATVers were now coming into the canyon.  I was the last vehicle to leave and all the ATVs were parked off the road to let me get by.  I'm sure Rob or Ellen had told them there was one slow car coming down the bumpy road. 

Kevin had just come home when I got in.  I wanted to sit out on the patio with him, but it was too cold for me.

I thought I had been on this trail before, but later I learned I was wrong.  I had confused this with the Eurelka Mine-Sunnyside Canyon from five years ago, a trail I'd do again.

***

Global cases: 62,077,202

Global deaths: 1,457,656

US cases: 13,452,839 (+193,384)

US deaths: 271,027 (+1428)

AZ cases: 318,638 (+4312) 

AZ deaths: 6588 (+20)

CA cases: 1,190,665 (+12,883)

CA deaths: 19,099 (+56)

IN cases: 324,537 (+5643)

IN deaths: 5594 (+33)

No comments:

Post a Comment