Saturday, November 21, 2020

The Arizona Trail through Colossal Cave Mountain State Park

Distance: O/B 4.7 miles 

Elevation: 3200'-3565'

Significance: Scenic hill trail among saguaros

https://www.mapmyrun.com/workout/5011120354

This hike was led by Tucson Hiking Club member Heddi via Meetup.  This was only my second time in nine years hiking with this group.  Eighteen (!!!) people showed up at the Posta Quemodo Ranch trailhead  (by the cowboy statue) and hiked north from one end of the park to the northern end at La Selvilla trailhead.  This was my first time in the park and I hope I can come back and explore some more.  I had arrived here early in case I got lost driving here.  The entrance is at the end of Old Spanish trail outside of Vail.

It's a very scenic single-track trail in Sonoran desert as the trail meanders in a northeast direction.  The elevation of the ranch is at 3200' and there is minimal gain here. This stretch is along a wash area once populated by ancient Americans.  The trail travels along the side of the low mountains, some formed via folds of rock, and at times shaded by mesquite.  It's a popular section for mountain bikers, too.  This section would be beautiful after heavy monsoonal rains.

I was the only one with a dog.  I had Zeke on his leash as we started out, in a mild 60F and clear skies at the start.  This was warm enough for him.  I gave him water at the turn-around point at the Selvilla picnic area,  an old campground with a badly-potholed road.  We sat at concrete picnic tables before resuming our hike back, taking a mile short cut through the ranch where an old caboose is on display from the mining days.

I got to meet some of the hikers.  All were friendly.  The vast majority of the hikers were women; only three men dared to show up to this slow-to-moderate paced group. One tall woman, Laurie, even hiked in sandals. There were two Amys and two Connies in this group. One gal, Amy Y, told me she hikes with Heddi quite often in the area, and that today's hike was a mild hike compared to what Heddi normally does.  She and I were the photographers in the group and hiked in the rear, so that our many stops would not annoy others.

The ranch is an active ranch, but Heddi said all the cattle have been relocated during this covid pandemic.  There was no one at the ranch but us hikers, but the coral looked like it had recent horse hoof marks.

It was 80F when we got back to our cars two hours later.  Heddi invited anyone to join her at the visitor's center by the cave and I went along, but dogs were not allowed at the overlook so I didn't stay long.  The views from the building looking southeast, though, were impressive.

After the hike I drove another 20 miles to drop off aluminum cans at the recycling center, then stopped at Costco.  I didn't stay in Tucson this time, though, and instead drove home, getting back home an hour before sunset.  Kevin had made a pot of his famed chicken noodle soup and I had kept my appetite for it.

***

Global cases: 58,512,319

Global deaths: 1,386,778

US cases: 12,450,614 (+174,845)

US deaths: 261,790 (+1582)

AZ cases: 295,334 (+3638) 3079 in Cochise County

AZ deaths: 6457 (+30) 78 in Cochise County

CA cases: 1,107,361 (+6121)

CA deaths 18,678 (+78)

IN cases: 289,183 (+6872)

IN deaths: 5246 (+40)

PA cases : 307,247 (+5874)

PA deaths: 9879 (+109)

 

1 comment:

  1. Excellent web site you have here.. It's hard to find high quality writing like yours these days. I seriously appreciate individuals like you! Take care!!

    ReplyDelete