Tuesday, August 4, 2020

Garden Canyon with the pups and Zeke

I wanted to check out the water in Garden canyon today with a few other SV Hikers.  I left the house at 6:15 with Zeke and the pups, who by now are comfortable jumping into the Honda.  My biggest challenge was getting out of the house without the other dogs.

The pups did fine on the ride.  They only flaw now is that they are already very protective of me and lunged at the gate guard as I stopped to show my ID.  The windows were closed, but both pups wanteed the two guards to know they got too close to mom.  I wasn't thrilled of them jumping on my lap and preventing me from seeing what was ahead of me as I drove off from the gate.  I will have to enforce stricter discipline while they are in the car, like keeping them in the back on long rides.

SteveT, BonnyM, Stephanie (new gal).  Jeong came at the last minute and took off at a powerwalk pace.

The pups at first went playfully toward Steve's dog Trace, who is already outsized by my two five-month-old pups  He sure doesn't act his nearly six years, though.  Being around Hansel and Gretel just made him act more like them!
Bonny and Stephanie were up front and I was with them, but I told them I'd slow down for Steve by the pictograph site and then walk back with him.  I figured four miles for the pups would be enough.  They hadn't done anything longer than two miles and I didn't want to overtax their little bodies.  

I chatted with them for a bit while Stephanie rested briefly.  They noticed a weird barking coming from the trees.  I told them that was the sound of the Elegant Trogon, a beautiful bird from Mexico with a most unattractive sound. I tend to hear the bird rather than see it.

I sat on a boulder in the deep shade by the creek for a good 15 minutes before Steve showed up.  Zeke used that time to rest, but the pups continued to chase each other in and around the creek.  Gretel would also wander off by herself to explore.  They didn't rest at all.  And when Steve caught up to me and we walked together from then on, he wanted to finish the 5.5 miles.  So off we went.

The pups continued to chase Trace as we continued up the road, but even he seemed to tire by now and hide from the two.  When we reached our turn-around point by the old Boy Scout hut, the three dogs sniffed around the meadows.  Zeke rested by me.
There was plenty of water in the canyon.  There was also evidence of hail or strong wind in some sections, as there were leaves and small branches on the road and heavy rutting.  The road in some sections is heavily eroded again.
As for flowers, all the flowers that were in bloom in May and June are now gone.  The purple and white American basketflower was the prominent flower now along the road's edge.  Lots of various butterflies were taking advantage of the blooms, too.
We rested one last time near the end of the walk, on a cement wall facing the bubbling creek.  This is Steve's favorite spot to rest.  The pups were finally showing some fatigue.  Gretel rested by the creek and Hansel even whimpered at one point prompting me to take out my mesh carrier I bought for first aid should any of my dogs get injured on the trail.  I got the straps all contorted and gave up.  By then both dogs got up and finished the walk on their own.
We didn't come across anyone else except for a young couple and a toddler and this was near the end of the walk.  A Military Police SUV rode up the road and later a man drove up, but the canyon today was quiet. 

Steve and I were the lasts ones back.  We drove to the Class VI for some craft beer, then drove up to Reservoir Hill to chat some more as we looked over the valley to the east.  I kept the pups in the car with the windows down and they didn't mind as they were sprawled out by now.  A nice breeze came over that hill just before we finally departed, stopping briefly at Culver's for two scoops of Chocolate Eclair custard, one of my favorite flavors.

Thus ended a good day.  The pups were tired but not exhausted, still wanting to play fetch in the afternoon.  I'm quite surprised they were able to walk so far today, but I'm sure the three rest breaks helped, as it took us 3.5 hours for the walk.

***

Global cases 18,739,877
Global deaths: 707,497
US cases: 4,918,371
US deaths: 160,290
AZ cases: 180,505 (+1008)
AZ deaths: 3845 (+66)
IN cases: 69,255
IN deaths: 2996

No comments:

Post a Comment