Thursday, August 6, 2020

Back to Garden Canyon, doggoneit!

Today was a repeat of Tuesday's hike, but today we had more dogs than people show up.  Hikers were Holly, Bonny, SteveT, Susan and me and our dogs.  I brought Zeke and the pups again.   We started at 6:45am
The pups are getting more relaxed about riding in the car.  They hop in and sit in the back and do not rush out the door as soon as I open it.  They listen to my "Stay!"  Today Hansel was very attentive.  Gretel was a bit more stubborn.  Both ran for most of the walk and never showed any exhaustion.
We met at 6:45am and walked the 5.5 miles.  While the dogs were a bit unruly that first half mile, they calmed down faster than last time.  I'm assuming it was because the dogs knew each other.  Bonny brought her dogs Jake and Conan, an English Retriever and a Boston terrier.  Both were on leash for most of the time and were the curiosos of the other dogs.
Lots of butterflies today on the thistle and basketflowers.  I even spotted an Agave Snout weevil feeding off a prickly pear.  Those beetles can decimate a cactus in one season.
We stopped less and walked more, finishing the course in just over three hours.  I'm really starting to like walking this course because of the early morning shade and water for the dogs.  Today we never encountered another car or hiker.  I just wish it didn't take me 45 minutes to get to the trailhead.
The intense rain that was forecasted to come in the evening never happened.




***
Global cases: 19,290,496
Global deaths: 720,551
US cases: 5,032,130 (+56,434)
US deaths: 162,804 (+1162)
AZ cases: 183,647 (+1444)
AZ deaths: 4002 (+70)

No comments:

Post a Comment