Wednesday, August 26, 2020

Another visit to the dog park

It was another hot day.  I overslept for a sunrise hike and ended up doing some gardening before taking the pups to the city's dogpark at 5pm.  This was the one event I did with the dogs today.  I've been slacking off on my duties because of the heat.

Both dogs barked as I came inside the dog area, attracting the other dogs inside to come running to the entrance.  But as soon as I let the dogs offleash, they calmed down and Hansel quickly ran with the other dogs.

Gretel, however, was scared during the entire visit.  She was scared and nervous and spent most of the time sitting next to me on the bench.  Hansel enjoyed the other dogs, but Gretel was unusually timid.

I stayed at the park until after sunset.  There were seven other humans there and about ten dogs of all sizes, including a King Poodle that towered over all the other dogs, and a one-eyed chihuahua-minpin named Daisy who gave Hansel a run for his money.  I chatted with the people around me but I was more focused on the dogs, making sure no one got aggressive.

I finished off the evening with two laps on the half-mile fitness loop, tracking a total of two miles by the time we were done.  The lights in the park shine on the fitness loop, but the dogpark is dark. The pups did very well onleash except for some people who were sitting outside the dogpark with two unleashed dogs that threatened my dogs.  I think they are getting the hang of leash walking!  It was just past 8pm when I drove home, tuning to NPR and listening to VP Mike Pence talk about the virtues of Donald Trump while speaking at the Republican National Convention.

No comments:

Post a Comment