Saturday, August 15, 2020

A visit to Tompkins Dog Park in Sierra Vista; finally some rain!

Sierra Vista Dog Park (off 7th Ave)

I'm not normally a fan of dog parks. I've heard of too many aggressive or sick dogs infecting or injuring other dogs at these parks.  I made an exception today and took both pups at 10am.  We stayed for 90 minutes, and it took 20 minutes for any other visitors to show up.  I met HollyW walking her laps around the park, but the pups did not recognize her and barked loudly at her.  Yes, both dogs need more socialization.  That's why I will take them to the dog park more often.

The dog park in Sierra Vista is a nice park.  It's part of a larger park, Tompkins, with picnic areas, a basketball court, grassy field and playground. A paved half-mile path goes around the entire park.There is a fenced-in area for small dogs, and an equally-large section for big dogs.  The sections are easily three times longer than our back yard, so dogs can chase each other until they get tired.  There are plenty of mature trees for shade, water fountains, and a covered area for humans.  I'd visit this place more often if it weren't out of my way.

The water is currently turned off and visitors are bringing their own water for the dogs, leaving the empty plastic bottles behind.  I took my seat on a bench and watched the pups sniff the area and then chase each other around.  When the first couple arrived with their two dogs, the pups barked and ran toward the new comers, but quickly played with them.  Then another man and his Aussie Shepherd showed up, stayed for 30 minutes, and then left.  When he left, I left as it was getting warm now. At least the dogs got to interact with three other unfamiliar dogs.

Clouds were beginning to gather by mid afternoon.  Rain was not originally in the forecast, but now it was certain to rain.  Grey clouds hovered over the mountains and storm clouds were moving in from the southeast.  I wanted to take the pack down to the river for a quick river romp at 3pm (hoping to beat the rain), but instead got hit hard by rain on my way to the river.  I saw Susan drive toward her house so I followed her, and what followed was an unplanned but pleasant visit with Susan for the late afternoon and evening.

Susan took the entire pack around her property, walking her desert the way she walks Allie in the morning on her property.  Even Sadie walked the laps.  The dogs barked with her neighbor Great Danes, with Gretel really getting into the barkfest.  I hope to train her out of this.  Susan says it is fear barking, not aggression barking.

The rain began in earnest by 5pm.  We had walked two laps, then sat in the back patio and watched the rain come down hard.  We also watched lightning over the Huachucas, and later saw smoke from an apparent lightning strike somewhere high in the mountains on post. The dogs didn't seem to mind the rain, but we went inside, fed the dogs, and then had the usual gin and tonics that Susan makes.  The only time I ever have one of those is at her place.  My camera had died so I could not capture the red sunset after the storm.

We had a good time together, talking again until past 11pm. I left at that time, and by now the pups were more at ease riding in the car, although six big dogs in a Honda CR-V begs the question "How many German Shepherd Dogs can you stuff in a CR-V?

No comments:

Post a Comment