Wednesday, July 15, 2020

Goodenow Grove Nature Preserve, Crete, IL


It was another humid day.  Rain showers were forecasted for the evening, which were pushed up to late afternoon.  I had planned to see Ethan for a few hours, but then cancelled when he said they were busy packing for their four-day camping trip to Turkey Run State Park in southern Indiana with Nick's parents.  They are renting a cabin for the long weekend, so I'm not sure I'd call it camping.  I had my hair cut, shopped for Carol, and stayed in for most of the day

That is why I had decided to drive out to Starved Rock tomorrow and spend the night, since Erin and the boys were out of town.  My only plan for today was to walk the Plum Creek greenway, a three-mile crushed gravel route over ravines, forest, horse farms and farmland in the Goodenow Grove Nature Preserve.  It was my first time here and the place is only 16 miles away, closer than Valparaiso! I took US231 west to US41 for seven miles, and then country roads to reach this pretty place.


As usual, I procrastinated and didn't get started with the walk until 4pm.  Showers were now forecasted by 5pm.  Skies were greying and I saw darker clouds to the southwest moving toward the area.  I powerwalked this path holding my rain jacket and left the backpack with water in the car on purpose.  Zeke got his water twice from the creek, to which we had to go off trail to reach. I made it back to the car just in 1:20 hours as it started to rain.


The Goodenow Grove Preserve is a nice place for families.  The Visitor's Center is open, with a small path for the littlest hikers.  There's a sledding hill across the street, with toilets right by the parking area.  The actual greenway, I learned, has its own parking area away from the nature center so the six miles were just four miles for me and that was enough to get a taste of the area before the rain came.  I will be back to explore the hiking trails in the forest next summer.

I stopped by the Evil Horse brewery in Crete afterward.  It was my first time and I liked it.  The interior is spacious and very woodsy.  Another customer at the counter was from St John, IN and he said this was his favorite brewery.  They do make a good Hefeweizen and Wheat Ale.  Wednesdays the Tier 1 and 2 beers (alcohol content below 6%) are only $3 a pint, so I was lucky. Zeke had to stay in the car but it was cool by then and I parked the car with a direct view from where I was seated.  This brewery is one of eight in Illinois that are on the "Dixie Highway Brewery Trail."  This may be something I can do next summer, although there are a few that are on the far west side of Chicago and that's a bit of a drive for me from Crown Point.

TBC

No comments:

Post a Comment