Sunday, March 8, 2020

West Hunter Canyon Trail after the rain (eastern Huachuca Mtns)

As forecasted, I woke up to a heavy rain that lasted until noon before it began to taper off.  Temperatures had dropped ten degrees from yesterday.  This cool, wet weather will be with us for two more days.

Once the rain tapered off, I messaged Susan to see if she would like to join me in a hike up West Hunter canyon trail.  I hadn't been there in a year and like to see if there is new growth in the burn area.  Hunting season is also over and it's safe again to walk the trails. She agreed to join me on a no-notice moment.  At 2pm we both drove in separate cars and parked by the first big campsite and walked up the forest road.  There was only one other car in the parking lot at that time. (This canyon has become popular with mountain bikers, who park in the parking area and ride into the canyon.) Heavy fog shrouded the peaks and a cool wind was blowing.  We were prepared to get rained on, but that never came.

I didn't have a route planned.  Instead, I let Susan decide how far she would go.  She has been plagued by a dry cough for a while.  She did not let the cough bother her.  Rather, she seemed more enticed to hike higher due to the fresh scent around us.  The dogs were all happy to be outside since they didn't walk yesterday.  We ended up walking the entire West Hunter Canyon trail, a short but steep 1.2-mile hike built in the early 1970s by the local Girl Scout troop.   This trail should not be confused with the nearby Hunter Canyon Trail, #111.  This trail has been abandoned by the Forest Service due to heavy use by illegal border crossers. Heavy erosion is visible all throughout the trail, from deep crevices to big trees over the trail.


While the trail is in disarray, the good news is that new pine growth is coming back!  The old pine canopy has been destroyed, but in another 30 years there will be new trees shading hikers where once a homestead was.  That homestead was washed away in the 2011 fire and flood.  I can't even locate the old foundation anymore.



A van was parked in the upper trailhead parking lot when we got back to the road.  We continued our walk  via the hidden trail, meandering along a deeply eroded  narrow wash.  All the dogs stayed close and sniffed rocks, leaves and tree trunks.  We didn't come across anyone until near the end, when a trail runner coming down the same wash surprised us with his two dogs.  Luckily no one barked, but there was plenty of rapid butt-sniffing going on.




This was a wonderful, spontaneous hike in my old stomping grounds.  We covered 3.2 miles. Susan mentioned that one of her daughters thinks she is an unusual woman.  When most grandmothers stay home and crochet and bake cookies, she's out exploring mountain trails with me.  What's wrong with that?!  I got my love for the outdoors from my German-born mother, who took me on hikes in the Indiana Dunes when I was a little girl.  For that I am now grateful.  Too many people my age, especially teachers, are sedentary and too blubbery in the waist.

I always enjoy a short ramble in these woods.  There were over eight vehicles in the parking lot when we drove out of the canyon.  We had timed our adventure perfectly.


***

Today's NYTimes reports 542 confirmed cases of Covid-19 in the US, with 22 deaths.  Connecticut has its first case of the coronavirus.  The USArmy has suspended travel to and from Italy and South Korea (where US service personnel are stationed) until May 6th.  Our leading expert on infectious diseases, Dr. Anthony Fauci, mentioned that regional lockdowns may be necessary to contain this fast-spreading virus.  This last part is what concerns me going into spring break.

No comments:

Post a Comment