Monday, March 9, 2020

A dull full moon


My work hours keep me from planning  full moon hikes. I come home too exhausted at times to organize group hikes. I noticed a near-full moon this morning as it set behind the Huachucas.  The full moon rise was today at 6:41pm, just four minutes after official sunset at 6:37pm.  One couldn't tell, though, as the thick cloud cover moving in from Baja California dulled any color.
.

I walked the dogs along the gushing Carr Creek, following a game trail along the water.  I could feel the warmth of spring.  (It was in the low 60s) Hues of purple and blue surrounded me.  I could see the moon's halo just above the Mule Mountains when it first rose, but didn't see a moon of any sort until I got back home.  We managed 2.5 miles, a decent distance with the pack.  We topped off the walk with a stop at the stock pond, visibly refilled from Saturday's rain
The corner house on our street, built in 1959, had its dining room lights on and at least one person inside.  Are we finally getting new neighbors?  That house has been empty for over a year.  I sure hope they are more outgoing than the geezers on our other side.


More rain is due Tuesday evening.  Yay!  So many weeds are growing up fast and I need to pull them before they take over the backyard.  The soil is still soft enough to pull the weeds out by the roots

***

The coronavirus continues to dominate the news.  It even caused the stock market to close for 15 minutes this morning when stocks plunged 7%.  They did rebound some by closing.  The US is now reporting 702 confirmed cases of the virus in the country, with 27 deaths.  Our higher-than-others average statistics when compared to Western Europe concerns me.  Saudi Arabia and Russia are now in an oil war, causing oil prices to drop by 30%.  This is good for me if I head out to California next week.  Right now a gallon of regular unleaded sells for $2.41-$2.44 in town.

No comments:

Post a Comment