Thursday, May 3, 2018

Carr Canyon Road powerhike


Today is the last day of our most recent cold front; it will be 92F on Sunday.  Today is also when teachers are back in school after the five-day state-wide teacherwalk-out.  The Arizona legislature and Governor Ducey did not give the teachers everything they wanted, but they were ordered back to work today.  I'm curious how this will fair out as the last day of school is now the 29th, extended by a week from the normal schedule.

My shift for today was modified yesterday to start at 11am, so that immediately had me excited for another powerhike in the morning.  These are getting addictive!  I asked Bill if he was interested yesterday after the Brown canyon loop and he said yes.  So today we met at 5:15am

And boy, was it cold!  It was only 41F at the start and my ears were cold.  Then my hands got cold, too.  While my ears warmed up by the time we made it to the three-mile turn-around, my hands never warmed up until I took my shower an hour after coming home.  We stayed at the waterfall just long enough for Zeke to drink and then we quickly started the descent.

"It's all downhill from here!" said Bill.
We still aren't seeing many wildflowers.  The wild geraniums are fading, but I caught a nice sample right by the dry waterfall.

Last week this walk took us 1:51:59 hours.  Today we walked it in 1:32:44 and we weren't even trying to break a record.  We met the same two men as we were near the finish.  They recognized us and we waved back.  They were our only company today besides a speeding car going downhill near our start.

It's nice having someone to push you along the way.  It's going to be harder to discipline myself to get up before sunrise for a power hike when I have no company.

No comments:

Post a Comment