Friday, May 4, 2018

Regrowth in the burn area

Today's 2.6-mile loop through the burn area for today's walk was the first day since the fire that I didn't smell fire retardant.  And I'm also noticing grass coming back!  How quickly life comes back from a fire.  This explains why I'm also seeing rabbits and hares run through the area.  Soon the snakes will return as well.

I have been walking a path that fire trucks have created when they dumped both retardant and sand on the difficult fires.  This path wasn't there before the fire.  Now ATVs have added to these new tracks, packing down any weedy growth. The sand and ash seem to feel good for the dogs as they all seem to enjoy running through the more open fields.  I can keep a better eye on them as well, so it's a win-win.


I keep finding more burned trash (bottles and cans) and parched animal bones.  The fire has exposed the rocky terrain in the area that was covered by tall grasses before the fire.  Sadly, I also came across the burned body of a young coyote, its nose still intact.  It wasn't too far off the trail.  The animal most likely suffocated from the smoke and then its body burned in the fire.


No comments:

Post a Comment