Monday, May 28, 2018

Walk under a near full moon

Kevin came home from his five-day mini vacation this morning.  The dogs were happy to see him.  He had brought T-bones for all the dogs, leftovers from yesterday's BBQ at his friends in Phoenix.  That was a nice treat for all of them.

He filled me in on his trip.  He traveled up to Sedona, Flagstaff and the Grand Canyon, Winslow, and Crater National Monument before stopping at his friends' place.  He said he liked Winslow the best since he'd never been there.  He got me a t-shirt from Winslow.

After talking with him I resumed my gardening.  This year I'm going to do container gardening and give the 4x4 plots a break.  I'm focusing on peppers and some tomatoes but nothing too large.

The near full moon rose at 6:44pm.  Five minutes later I was at the old burn area with all four dogs.  I hadn't walked the dogs here in two weeks and am noticing more regrowth.  It's not just from the grass and herbaceous plants, but also among the woodier species like desert broom.  This is impressive as we haven't had any rain since the April 26 fire. By the end of the monsoon season this area will be covered in green again.

I managed a 3.7-mile walk in the burn area.  It was nice to be back here without having to worry about neighbors or the dogs running into others' yards and barking with their dogs.  I had been walking them late at night around my 'hood, but always have to be careful that the dogs don't cause any commotion.  (It's the other dogs that do all the barking).  The dogs enjoy the neighborhood walks, but Sadie doesn't.

The moon lighted up the trail that last mile and the dark skies cooled it off for us all.  I let the dogs jump into the main stock pond on the return hike back to the truck.  The stock pond closer to the road has dried up.


Gasoline prices hit $2.87 this Memorial day weekend, fifty cents higher than it was when I left for spring break.  Analysts are now saying the prices will fall again.  I do hope so.

No comments:

Post a Comment