Sunday, May 27, 2018

Walk with Steve along Walnut Gulch

Walnut Gulch is a wide wash that runs into the San Pedro river just south of the old ghost town of Fairbank.  We agreed to meet and walk here together with our dogs.  We hadn't talked in a while.  We parked in the Little Boquillas Ranch parking lot across SR82 and Fairbank. Trace was having a blast running around, but Zeke stayed by my side.

The morning temperature was rather chilly: a mere 53F!  I was a bit chilled and grabbed my old Marmot rain jacket to stay warm.  Two miles later that jacket came off as the sun quickly warmed the sand around us.

I had never walked this wash before.  During the cooler months this would be ideal dog walking country as long as there are no cattle around.  We saw plenty of cow patties in the wash, some were fresh, and some were quite huge!  We saw no cattle, although the dogs did see a few desert hares.  Wide, deep tire marks also lined this area.

What is impressive here are the eroded banks.  When was the last time a flash flood roared through here?  Mesquites, ash, a few palo verde and plenty of cactus were everywhere here. I would do this wash again, but next time walk westward toward the San Pedro river, where there is more shade and some water.

Steve and I always have interesting conversations that make the time fly.  We crossed under a barbed wire fence and walked some more in an easterly direction before I suggested we turn around at the two-mile mark.  While it was still cool, we still had to walk back and I didn't want the sand to get too hot for the dogs.  By now I was hungry, too, and suggested breakfast at Sunny D's again.

We got to the restaurant at 8am.  This time there was plenty of shade for Zeke as he rested in the truck with the windows open and his ice water.  Kim, our server from Thursday, recognized me, but today our server was Honey Dee, Sunny D's granddaughter.  I ordered my biscuits and gravy, Steve had his hashbrown and eggs sunny side up.  A steady stream of customers came in but it never got packed. We talked for over an hour before finally going our own ways.  It was a lovely way to start the day and now I didn't have to worry about walking the dogs later again.  I was too busy vacuuming the rooms which badly needed it.

No comments:

Post a Comment