Monday, October 12, 2009

Bisbee, AZ














I finally got Kevin out of the house today. After we both spent the morning studying for our classes we drove to this mining town for a short walk around the historic town with Sadie in tow. Unfortunately, the Grand Hotel no longer allows "well-behaved dogs" in its bar so Sadie had to spend two hours in Essie with her water bowl. Had I known about the new dog-ban, I would have kept her at home where at least she had her freedom.

But ooh, how I love Bisbee! Of all the towns in southeastern Arizona, it's the one I love taking tourists to.

We didn't walk far and we didn't walk for long, just up and down Main Street and up Brewery Gulch toward the Stock Exchange Saloon. (Kevin told me the owner, David Harvan, was in a serious car accident several weeks ago that caused the death of the driver and left David still injured). Sadie pulled on her leash the entire time, insisting on smelling all the odors of building corners and weeds.

Several businesses have shuttered since our last trip to Bisbee. Mexico Lindo's Old Bisbee restaurant is closed and a BBQ joint is in its place. Art galleries have opened and a few other vendors are now in town, but I personally never go to Bisbee for the art shops. I go to walk around the crumbly town, hike the stairs,enjoy the views and to meet people at the Grand Hotel Saloon.

Although my love affair with Bisbee is over, thanks to the tortuous days with the schools in town, I still love the Old Bisbee aura. If only living there were affordable! Phelps-Dodge Mining Company still controls the infrastructure of Old Biz, and I don't want to be controlled by a mining company.

Once we got to the Grand Hotel, I was more interested in getting on the free WiFi than sitting at the bar, since our home internet connection has been down all week. Several of the clientele looked familiar. The bartender, Laura, recognized us but couldn't recall our names. Kevin talked briefly to a grey-haired main in a tie-dye shirt and wool skull cap, a man Kevin realized was a lot smarter than he looked. Yes, there are a lot of intelligent people in Bisbee. Three of my favorite instructors this semester live in Bisbee. I can see them gathering at a bar in town discussing the latest political affair over a cool micro-beer.

We told Laura we will be back at Thanksgiving and bring a side dish to the Hotel. The owners still cook an entire turkey meal for its customers and locals sign up for desserts and salads. We may do the same this year and enjoy the holiday with cool Bisbeeites. Maybe I could even organize a five-mile walk around town with the hiking club before our turkey meal?

Sadie waited patiently for us in Essie, but barely back on the road she had to go badly. I had barely pulled over along the San Pedro River and she darted off to poop. Poor girl probably had been holding it in for the two hours she waited for us in town!

No comments:

Post a Comment