Friday, October 30, 2009

Another weekend

I've been busy all week working on college papers. I'm glad my work load otherwise was nill this week.

But just because I wasn't employed means I wasn't busy. Last night after a library visit I stopped to get bird seed for the wild birds outside, to help them with these morning freezes. They seem to appreciate the help. I hadn't fed the birds all summer as we had enough weed and grass seed to keep them going.

As for tomorrow's hike, what started out as a hike up Mount Wrightson seems to have changed to one up Mount Hopkins, a neighboring peak I've never been up. Apparently the majority didn't want to spend all day driving/hiking nor did anyone seem interested in bagging the peak. Although the temperatures are to warm up by later today, it will still be cooler than it was last week.

Either way, it's going to be an early reveille for me and a long day, but a well-deserved day as I got much done school-wise. Some hikers even complained of the early meet-up time and cancelled, so I don't even know for sure who's coming anymore.

Meanwhile, people in the Midwest are freezing. Colorado had its first major fall storm overnight. Brr. Which reminds me: I've opted to drive to Indiana for Cmas. Call me insane but I want to see Ethan again. The dogs will stay home this time. I don't want any of them to suffer in blustery cold temperatures.

___

Snowstorm blasts Colorado, Wyoming; delays flights

By IVAN MORENO, Associated Press Writer Ivan Moreno, Associated Press Writer – 2 hrs

DENVER – An early blast of winter walloped some western states with deep snow and slowly pushed into Nebraska and Kansas Thursday, bringing blizzard conditions to the eastern plains and causing treacherous roads, closed schools and hundreds of canceled flights.

The fall storm spread 3 feet of snow and left much higher drifts across parts of northern Utah, Wyoming and Colorado, before its leading edge hit neighboring states just to the east.

Wind-driven snow built to blizzard conditions over much of eastern Colorado. The weather service warned most area roads would be impassible Thursday night because of blowing snow and near-zero visibility.

The heaviest October snowfall in the Denver area in a decade forced the closure of hundreds of schools and businesses. Roads across the region remained snowpacked and icy.

"Big storms like these, they seem to come around every 10 to 12 years," said Kyle Fredin, a National Weather Service meteorologist.

No comments:

Post a Comment