Monday, January 8, 2024

Snow delay

 A teacher colleague contacted me on Facebook about the two-hour delay start for Monday, citing the freezing rain we were getting yesterday after sunset.   I never got a text message from the school district, even though I'm on the roster. I saw the message two hours later on the district's public Facebook page.  While we here in the high desert don't get much snow, when we do, it's usually melted by late morning, it's the ice that causes more danger.  The county does not have salt trucks.  As a precaution the school districts call for delayed start.

I took advantage of the delayed start by sleeping in, getting up just before sunrise at 7am to a phone call from my neighbor Mariah.  She let me know Fritz and Gretchen were fence-fighting her dogs a block away.  Oh, great!  The door to the RV was wide open.  I obviously hadn't locked the door properly and both dogs were able to jump up against the door to open it.  The run straight to three neighbors dogs:  Chris and Lori's pitmix Prince, Robbie;s two silver German Shepherd Dogs, or Mariah's two mutts.


I must have slept soundly as I heard not a thing.  I heard no neighborhood dogs barking frantically. I got up to the blustery cold and got both dogs back quickly.  It was 7:30am by now and I wanted to leave for school by 8am. I only walked Gretchen, and only for one block, and then left early for some shopping at Fry's.  The best deals are always right after the store opens.

My street had a thick layer of ice on the far west side, most likely from a busted pipe.  The ice had melted by the time I was back home

After school another colleague gave me one of her fluffy comforters which I used at night.  It was an older comforter she no longer needed. What a difference a second thick layer makes!  Both dogs enjoyed the added layer and my feet weren't cold.  It was a cold night indeed, with lows in the upper teens.  A few more overnights in the low 20s are due all this week. It hasn't been this cold since February 2022.

No comments:

Post a Comment