Saturday, January 27, 2024

A quick romp along the Lehner Kill site to the SP River

I finally did it.  I got Wolfie out of the back yard to romp with Gretel and Gretchen by the Lehner Kill site down to the river, a 2.3-mile walk.  It was 1:30pm with sunny blue skies and 60F; a beautiful winter day!

Wolfie walked earlier around the 'hood solo with me and he only pulled when he saw other dogs or rabbits.  That is a trait he, Fritz, and Gretchen got from their mother Gretel.  But unlike his siblings, he takes reward and punishment calmly.  There is hope for him!

I was hesitant at first to let Wolfie and Gretchen off leash.  I held on for the first half mile, until we got to the bend in the road that takes one to the river.  I unleashed them and all three dogs bolted toward the river, with a few side jaunts off the trail chasing...rabbits?

This area still hasn't recovered fully from last April's brush fire.  The field just north of Patrick's Casa de San Pedro House is still void of much growth.  The lack of any decent monsoon last summer prevented weeds from flourishing, which in turn keeps brushfires down.  What did grow back is the flora along the banks of the river, but the river itself is not rushing after our recent rains.

I watched the dogs carefully as they frolicked in the water, chasing each other. Gretel enjoyed her ambushes of the other two, waiting for them to approach her before she pounces on them.  They are a fun bunch to watch.

I kept my eyes on them and any passers-by, diverting the dogs away from a woman walking toward us in case she had a small dog hidden in the brush.  All three dogs took commands perfectly.  Even Gretchen  stayed close!  I was happy with relief that she is finally learning recall. 

We were only out for an hour.  There's only so much time I can endure to stretch out the 2.3-mile out-and-back walk.  I was especially proud of Gretchen who came toward me on the return walk and let me walk her on leash again.  That was a good thing, as there were several vehicles in the parking lot, cars parked there what looked like hitches for mountain bikes.  (Ellen told me this part of the San Pedro Riparian River Trail has been approved as a designated mountainbike route.)   

 

No comments:

Post a Comment